Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: mounting a propane tank to bumper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> mounting a propane tank to bumper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stumper92 wrote:

+2 I would not recommend having propane tanks mounted in a location susceptible to being ruptured in a collision.

+3. For the sake of others, please don't put one back there.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

There are several propane brackets(mounts)available that could easily attach to the rear bumper of your TC to carry extra propane..

As to the danger of it,just look at all the 5 gallon gas cans attached to the rear of jeeps etc,the preferred mounting place it seems..

I have also considered doing as you want to but I have a small rear bumper in comparison..When towing an ATV trailer the issue of extra propane/gas/whatever is kinda mute..
That might be acceptable for off road travel without traffic but not very safe for on road at highway speeds .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumper bombs just help keep the (observant) tailgators off your six! Lol

Appears your overall issue is an oversight with the equipment you bought and the intended usage. It’s well know that propane generators inhale propane in massive quantities. It’s known that you need to run the generator a lot of hours to run AC if not plugged in. (Otherwise you can limit genny use considerably, but at some lack of convenience or additional cost, like batteries or solar.)
And if installing and removing bottles from their compartment is also a deal breaker then the whole plan is pretty poorly hatched with respect to using a TC.

My 2c is deal with it and figure out how to pack extra bottle(s) (not like the little ones are heavy) somewhere less conspicuous.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As usual,most are not addressing what the op asked,just reasons why he should not do it, which he did not ask..

Quote:

That might be acceptable for off road travel without traffic but not very safe for on road at highway speeds .

Don't know from where most of you are but gas cans on the bumper/side mount or front and roof are very common in this area and not on off road vehicles only..In my to many years I have never heard of a gas explosion from a bumper mount gas can and certainly not from a rear mounted propane tank...Do any of the doomsdayers have any idea how many people carry extra propane tanks/gas cans on hitch hauls????

A bunch...

Oh,someone link me to a gas can explosion mounted on the rear of a vehicle or propane explosion as asked here...PS..Never use Silicone(laffin)

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if it has ever happened or not but I'm not about to experiment with something so obviously dangerous.
And just because soemone gets away with something most of the time doesn't automatically make it safe or even a good idea.
Russian roullete works most of the time too.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ANSI A119.2/NFPA 1192 STANDARD ON RECREATIONAL VEHICLES (1999 Edition)

2-2.3 Location of LP-Gas Containers. LP-Gas containers shall be in accordance with the following:

(a) LP-Gas containers shall not be installed nor shall provisions be made for installing or storing any LP-Gas containers, even temporarily, inside any recreational vehicle. Containers shall not be mounted on the exterior of the rear wall or the rear bumper of the vehicle.

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

[image]

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The op asked:

we bought a 2019 northern lite it has the two little propane bottles like you see on b b q grills. I am looking for a way to mount either two of the same size tanks to the large bumper or even better say a 20 or 30 pound and never have to use the small ones that are so hard to get in and out. Thank those of you for helping with this according to cummins the generator will run for 3.5 hours on one tank that came with the camper. I have seen one northern lite with a tank on the bumper and the hose ran through to the mount inside the compartment. hope it can be done

Nothing else!

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think for safety sake, I'd mount / carry extra propane bottles in the fenderwell area of the truck between the TC and the bed wall. IMO. a rear bumper mount is asking for issues, nit only from a crash but from crud off the road fouling the valves and connections.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My family has been plagued with rear end collision - almost all associated with people who pay more attention to texting than driving. Wife has been hit several times and same goes for my daughter in law. No way I would consider placing propane bottles on the rear of anyone's vehicle.

Kevin

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> mounting a propane tank to bumper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.