Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: mounting a propane tank to bumper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> mounting a propane tank to bumper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I have seen one northern lite with a tank on the bumper and...”

And I’ve seen lots of rear end accidents and lots of propane tanks on rear bumpers. Thankfully not both at the same time. Same for gasoline jerry cans. Because others do it doesn’t make it safe.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are alot of reasons to carry extra propane in a TC..Extended stays in cold weather and ofcorse, running a propane generator..I have 2-25 gallon propane tanks and one 10 gallon tank I use for extended stays but with a truck camper,you need a way to haul it such as an atv trailer or what the op asked about on those huge rear bumpers..

I used this 10 gallon tank with my old Lance for Stealhead fishing when the temps never reached 30 degree's in the day and dipped below zero at night..

[image]

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you carry the tank on your rear bumper, Jayco?

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 09:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

good discussion that misses a important point. Talk all you want about how or where to carry extra stuff, what will that weight do to handling where its placed?
Think this through. is it worth it? the dog may wag his tail, not the reverse.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having need for so much propane, I would bolt 15-20 gallons tank to truck frame.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something like this with a top strap through the handles would work well to carry extra bottles:

https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/Stromberg-Carlson/2020-JR.html

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

good discussion that misses a important point. Talk all you want about how or where to carry extra stuff, what will that weight do to handling where its placed?
Think this through. is it worth it? the dog may wag his tail, not the reverse.

The subject at hand is about putting a couple of 20-30lb propane tanks on the bumper, not a concrete Jersey barrier. If a couple of propane tanks on the back of the truck changes the handling THAT much, they had problems to begin with.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple of propane CYLINDERS weight +- 100 lb. Placed on rear bumper, depends on camper length will add about 150 lb to rear axle load.
Since lot of SRW trucks are already loaded to max in the rear, that can be big issue.
Obviously not with duallies and camper shorter than 11'

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you with the "just answer the question" attitude, would you "just answer the question" if the OP asked what kind of knife to use to plunge into his heart? No, you would say, "Don't do that. It's a bad idea. You will probably die."

If there are things you feel the OP should consider before moving forward with a plan, there is NOTHING wrong with pointing them out. In this case there are some people who spend far too many hours watching reruns of CHIPS on TV with the staged car explosions every episodes, and think looking crosseyed at a tank of propane will cause it to explode. While I may not agree with their sentiments, I will die defending their right to make them.

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Typical 20# /5gallon tank generally is filed to approx. 4.7 gallons, (exchange service typically can be as low as 4 gallons or 80%).
  • Propane weighs 4.24 pounds per gallon.
  • On average, the tare weight (empty) of a 20# propane tank is about 17.2 pounds.

(Some might be 18# and some might be 16.6#, is called the “tare weight” which is the weight of an empty tank. Tanks have “T.W.” (tare weight) stamped on the collar of the tank. )

All in all, a completely full 20# tank weighs approximately 37 to 38 pounds. My tanks are stamped TW-16.6. IF filled to 4.7 gals @ 4.24 lb per gallon that would be 19.93 pounds.
19.93 lbs of propane plus the TW of 16.6# = 36.5# for each bottle. (if exchange service used closer to 33# per bottle)

FYI
#30 pound bottles would be closer 55# filled
The "WC" stamped number on collar is weight IF filled with water (not propane), used converting weight to propane gallons.

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> mounting a propane tank to bumper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.