Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: mounting a propane tank to bumper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> mounting a propane tank to bumper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Photomike wrote:

From what I have read on it they are legal because of the height. ..

Not according to the law copied on page 12 in this topic.

We are on page 7 so I will wait till page 12 to read it [emoticon]

I think you are referring to the NFPA rules a few pages back. Honestly there are a lot of "suggestions" but I don't see anyone enforcing. I would be more concerned about someone with a loose tank in the back of their truck then mounted that high. I also would rather have tanks mounted up that high then on the tongue of a trailer or in a back compartment on a TCer that is lower.

Honestly I don't really care as like weight, gas vs diesel, etc the facts here are being so twisted that this thread is 150% useless [emoticon]

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

ryoung

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a difference between "recommendations" or "standards" and what is actually "law". This seems to be the conjecture of this thread.

The NFPA standards are not "law". They are simply methods or ways of ensuring safety. The NFPA is a self funded organization that
publishes standard methods. They have now enforcement authority.

However when federal, state or local governments develop "codes" or "regulations" they will often include and refer to NFPA standards. This makes the standards enforceable by the government entity. They become "law".

For example, federal and state Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) agencies have incorporated wording from NFPA standards into regulations. In these cases, complying with the standards are mandatory.

Many municipal building codes include NFPA standards and NEC standards, (which are a part of NFPA). Again these are enforceable.

Back to the subject of this thread concerning mounting and locking propane cylinders. I initially replied that locking cylinder compartments is "not recommended" I did not say it was unlawful. But many interpreted it that way. Other posters correctly pointed to the NFPA standards to which I was referring.

Also IMO, doing something that is unsafe for "40 years and getting away with it", is not good advice. Especially when it is contrary to published safety standard.

Label me the "Safety Police" if you wish. But that's just me.

ryoung

2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

This thread should close. Ignorance abound.

Just throwing it back out there....

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

This thread should close. Ignorance abound.

Just throwing it back out there....

Then close it..You are a moderator right?

If you don't like it,don't look..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/Reese solid bar extension/buddy heater/3 inverters/3/4" Horse mat cushion-Non slip/happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags /Yamaha Rhino/Winch/locker UTV/Zieman trailer

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ryoung wrote:

Also IMO, doing something that is unsafe for "40 years and getting away with it", is not good advice. Especially when it is contrary to published safety standard.

Label me the "Safety Police" if you wish. But that's just me.

ryoung

Labeling it as 40 yo is not good neither as propane handling laws AND recommendations changed drastically less than 20 yo and you will still find equipment build to old standards.
25 years ago I was legally dumping gray water on the ground.
Don't do it today even I don't think there is federal law forbidding it.
It is not topic side kicking that is annoying to me. It is the trolls flooding it with their agenda.

devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not understand the confusionI have had a class c 2017and a class A both if in a accident could be damaged. I had a class B burn to the ground while on a trip to louisiana. no explosion
from the gasoline tank or the propane tank. some people get over cautious manic cautious. these taks have built in safety feature

2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 10:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If some people do not agree with then then they imply everyone is ignorant. where do you think cars that run on propane place those propane tanks under the back by thebumper. Know all the facts before you label people with ignorance abounds because usually it is the one without all the facts

* This post was edited 01/09/20 10:39pm by devildog1971 *

devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 10:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a loan of vehicles run on gasoline and or propane I saw several California cars owned by the state of california . The propane tank could be partially seen below the rear bumper. I also love the people who go unhinged when I fill my diesel truck up with diesel and they are screaming a spark could kill everyone. that isa crock there are no sparks from a diesel no spark plugs, try to ge4t diesel fuel to burn with a match see what happens inn a propane tank is overheated it bleeds off slowly. I had a class a with a 32 gallon propane tank the only thing protecting it was a thin piece of sheet metal if a car had hit the side of that class a the propane tank would have taken a hit to bend it badly or worse. a lot of R V's have poorly mounted propane tanks ha worry warts get a grip

devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 10:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Optimistic Paranoid wrote:

Propane bottles need to be mounted somewhere where they won't be damaged if someone rear ends you - or you rear end someone who stops short in front of you.
there are many propane tanks protected by a thin piece of sheet metal and at the height if they were hit in the side the propane tank would take the worse of it We have propane trucks that deliver propane to homes one was hit by a train it was horrible no explosion or no catastrophe from fire now give me a example of of one of these bombs you refer to

devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

every R V I have looked at has a lock on doors where propane bottles are kept

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> mounting a propane tank to bumper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.