Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: mounting a propane tank to bumper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> mounting a propane tank to bumper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check this out! Click here.

devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The factory mounted propane tanks, are (7) seven inches from the rear of the camper. Just smashing the tank usually will not cause a explosion unless there is also a spark associated after the puncture

2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the op - consider looking for a new or used frame mounted DOT underbody tank that you leave on the truck. You can connect with a quick coupling when you load your camper.

devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I measured the distance the factory mounted tanks are from the rear of the vehicle (7) seven inches. that is seven inches of fiberglass. the bumper on my 10-2cdse is refereed to as a patio bumper so there would be substantial steel protecting the tank. A puncture of a propane tank does not equal explosion.

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used a refrigeration bottle mount that I picked up at the local HVAC supply house to mount two 20 lb. bottles to the back of my first FW and never had an issue. The FW was a light model and had one bottle in a cabinet on the rear corner of the FW. I had the local propane dealer build me a hose that would reach from the cabinet to the bottles on the bumper. Google refrigeration bottle rack and lots of options.

It was similar to this.

[image]

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

devildog1971 wrote:

The factory mounted propane tanks, are (7) seven inches from the rear of the camper. Just smashing the tank usually will not cause a explosion unless there is also a spark associated after the puncture

Yep - but sparks/collision happen and proximity to the spark is a factor. I find it difficult to believe that any govt/fire dept recommends placing propane on the bumper of any vehicle.

Kevin

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tow rax holder

This might be another option. Would need to strap them in but they would be well contained. I have seen cargo and TH use these for propane and gas containers.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't get it. I get about 2 months from one 20# propane tank. That includes cooking, hot water for showers and occasional use of the furnace. In colder weather, I might use the furnace enough to go through one tank a month. If it gets any colder than that, I head South.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

discovery4us wrote:

tow rax holder

This might be another option. Would need to strap them in but they would be well contained. I have seen cargo and TH use these for propane and gas containers.

I like that one for maybe my needs with a smaller TC bumper..I like the idea it is covered kinda on all four sides...Like the op,it would be nice to have pre-made attachments that can just bolt to a TC bumper without the need for a hitch haul or towing a trailer for the extra's most TC people like to have around..

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

I don't get it. I get about 2 months from one 20# propane tank. That includes cooking, hot water for showers and occasional use of the furnace. In colder weather, I might use the furnace enough to go through one tank a month. If it gets any colder than that, I head South.

And he is planning on running a propane fired built in generator which eats alot of propane. While I think they run alot longer than he said (more like 7 hours on a 20lb bottle), 2 days of camping in the summer with the AC going will kill 2 full bottles easily.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> mounting a propane tank to bumper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.