Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: mounting a propane tank to bumper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> mounting a propane tank to bumper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5 pages later....yes in the very first post, the OP said his need for more propane was to run a built in propane generator.

Lol at bringing 2, 100lb bottles camping for elk season!
You said a 30lb'er lasts you 3-6 days and you bring enough for an extra 4-6 weeks?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

5 pages later....yes in the very first post, the OP said his need for more propane was to run a built in propane generator.

Yeah, generator, but for what purpose? Running AC, charging batteries, watching movies, welding, powering a small house, running his fridge on generator ... what?

In other words, does he actually need a lot of propane or just thinking he will. Generators use more power when they are under a load.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would frame mount a DOT LPG tank. Especially on a dually pickup.

Then I would fill it up and have propane for whatever I “need” it for. It doesn’t go bad.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

G-Dog wrote:

Lol at bringing 2, 100lb bottles camping for elk season!
You said a 30lb'er lasts you 3-6 days and you bring enough for an extra 4-6 weeks?

Reading comp is not a strong point huh..LOL

I said I usually take one(1) and that I have two(2)...I have two(2) because when I was full-timing I had one for each side plumbed into my TT for 100% out in the hills with no RV park or even in a mobile home spot,they would stop by and fill the 100# tanks when they filled the big mobile home tanks..

And just for the record,when out hunting 100 miles from the nearest propane or gas pump,you can't have enough propane or gasoline and why I always take enough of both...5 gallons of gas to those that don't think ahead is worth a case of beer or a fifth way out there and there glad to trade..Laughing

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the early 80' we were doing LP conversions on vehicles and people used to always say, "my god, I'd never drive a vehicle with that ticking time bomb on-board".

The fact back then was an "correctly installed" conversion was something like 56 times safer than the vehicles factory gas tank during a serious accident.

Everyone's wants and needs are different.

I hate the heat and doubt I'll ever go camping where my camper sits out in the direct sunlight all day when it in the upper 90s, I hate the heat. Did I already mention that I hate the heat? [emoticon]

I can take about 22 gallons with me. Its too early for me to tell how many day's that will last me.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Propane is way safer in emergency than gasoline or diesel.
I witnessed 300 gallons tank blow -up. Due to lot of energy propane needs to evaporate- the burn-out was self-controlled and lasted over 1 hr.
Fire Dept pulled the hoses and was waiting without opening the water.
Than commercial tank has safety latch, that cylinders lack.
Typical cylinders don't even have safety valve.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I hate the heat and doubt I'll ever go camping where my camper sits out in the direct sunlight all day when it in the upper 90s, I hate the heat. Did I already mention that I hate the heat?

Me three..

I remember sleeping(trying to) in the cabover bed of one of my TC's when it was in the 90's out and swatting skeeters that snuck in..Oh what a miserable night..

I told myself..Self..Never again!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your body adapts.
I grew up in 4-seasons and when I moved to No California, 90+ F was killing temperature for few years. Later on my body adapted.
Now 3 years in Las Vegas and I can work in the yard at 110F.. as long as I am in shade.
80F is sweater weather. [emoticon]

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adapting to the heat is like trying to acquire a taste for scotch.

Why would anyone ever do that? [emoticon]

ryoung

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Propane is way safer in emergency than gasoline or diesel.
I witnessed 300 gallons tank blow -up. Due to lot of energy propane needs to evaporate- the burn-out was self-controlled and lasted over 1 hr.

Watch this CSB video and you might want to retract your asinine statement.

ryoung

2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> mounting a propane tank to bumper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.