Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: mounting a propane tank to bumper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> mounting a propane tank to bumper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A DOT vehicle mount tank has a safety relief valve. A guy could mount ....

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Adapting to the heat is like trying to acquire a taste for scotch.

Why would anyone ever do that? [emoticon]

Looking at my life back, I wonder why I spend big chunk of my life fighting the weather elements. Fact is that as a child I did not have much choice but still remember lot of winter mornings spend on snow shoveling.
Than, living in CA for 30 years I had to deal with snow only once, unless I choose to go to ski resort for pleasure.
Now in Las Vegas I spend 1/3 on energy bills comparing to what I used to spend in CA, having much smaller house.
I think average people are just too lazy to improve their life by moving and they rather shovel the snow and pay heating bills.
Never develop taste for Scotch btw, but Bourbon goes often into Manhattan drinks

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I think average people are just too lazy to improve their life by moving and they rather shovel the snow and pay heating bills"
Lazy?

What if you like both climates?
Does that make me bi-climatical?

BTW, I recall $200-300/mo power bills all summer (all fcking 9 months of it...) living in Phoenix. How's that diffrnt than heating bills?

Other than you can burn wood to stay warm, but you can't burn wood to cool down.....

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the OP and the rest of you Hank Hill propane junkies could just get one of them big tanks on a farm wagon like you see hauling all around Iowa full of anhydrous ammonia.
Bam!
Street legal, never run out while elk hunting or using the AC 25 hours a day.
Problem solved. You're welcome.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ryoung wrote:

Quote:

Propane is way safer in emergency than gasoline or diesel.
I witnessed 300 gallons tank blow -up. Due to lot of energy propane needs to evaporate- the burn-out was self-controlled and lasted over 1 hr.

Watch this CSB video and you might want to retract your asinine statement.

ryoung

If you listen to the comment, the blow up was technically due to pressure, not fuel ignition.
Fuel fire was the contributor, but the tank simply did not hold the pressure. Evidently it lacked the safety lid I have seen on other fire.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

BTW, I recall $200-300/mo power bills all summer (all fcking 9 months of it...) living in Phoenix. How's that diffrnt than heating bills?

My Las Vegas neighbours pay $600 a month during summer.
Simply becouse they are too lazy to install evaporative coolers.
I have cathedral ceiling via most of the house and my electric bill topped at $120, keeping the house at 74-76F
Now talking bout evaporative coolers, I removed 1 RV-type from junkyard about 15 years ago and it is still in my storage. Camping in the past in high Sierra, did not have need for cooling, but now on deserts there is no such thing like too much cooling.
Anybody had direct experience with those? I heard they like to splash water inside during driving, but other than that, people liked them.
California Animal Control has them on their trucks.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was in college about a hundred years ago, I worked at a market. Part of my job was cleaning up outside, but I also stocked the refrigerator with all types of drinks including beer. When I started, I wore a coat to work for a period of time in the refrigerator. After a few weeks, I could go directly from 100 degrees outside to the cooler with no coat and a lot of the time short sleeves.

After adjusting, I noticed I really didn’t have to wear much of a coat that Winter, and never got cold on the deer stand. I wasn’t cold or hot. I expect my body did adapt. That being said, I just wear different clothes to deal with different temps now.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked under my neighbors class C ...why, it has a frame mounted DOT propane tank... no farm wagon! Who knew?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ And that's a great, albeit more involved and expensive solution. Could get creative with a convienent connection to the removable camper (diff than a C) and creative for the fill port.
Different scenario than a C but doable if you want to pay, or are very handy with tools and mechanics.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

I looked under my neighbors class C ...why, it has a frame mounted DOT propane tank... no farm wagon! Who knew?
If you look closer I think you will l find that it is an ASME permanent mount tank and not a DOT cylinder . It is filled in place , not portable .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> mounting a propane tank to bumper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.