Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: No Warranty on your RV? Don't buy new?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> No Warranty on your RV? Don't buy new?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
doghouseman

Baltimore

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am new here and I am surprised most of you guys recommend not getting a new RV with warranty.

I bought a very old boat a few years ago and it was my first boat. Looking back I wish I had a warranty on it because it was impossible to find parts for the boat and I spent more time working on the boat than I did actually sailing. Seems like the same logic applies to an RV????

Are there any good RV warranties out there are all they all bad?

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was buying an RV, I'd buy late model used. Let the original owner deal with warranty items.

I did buy new and consider myself lucky I had no warranty issues but that isn't the norm, rather the exception.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have bought 3 new and 2 used. We never used the warranty on the new ones because they didn't need work. We had to fix the used ones a few times but they cost way less then the new ones. Every deal is different, every circumstance is different.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doghouseman wrote:

I am new here and I am surprised most of you guys recommend not getting a new RV with warranty.

I bought a very old boat a few years ago and it was my first boat. Looking back I wish I had a warranty on it because it was impossible to find parts for the boat and I spent more time working on the boat than I did actually sailing. Seems like the same logic applies to an RV????

All new RVs come with at least a one year factory warranty. Many of us feel that most of the stuff that's wrong, can be found in that first year. No one is against that.

It's the third-party extended warranties that most don't recommend because they almost always don't cover the more expensive issues that RVs have, like roof damage and delamination. The fine print often has many exclusions.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doghouseman wrote:

All new RVs come with at least a one year factory warranty. Many of us feel that most of the stuff that's wrong, can be found in that first year. No one is against that.

It's the third-party extended warranties that most don't recommend because they almost always don't cover the more expensive issues that RVs have, like roof damage and delamination. The fine print often has many exclusions.

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most RV parts are generic and I would have thought they'd be the same for boats?

Besides most RV warranties these days are only about a year. My KZ had two but by the time I may have needed it it was long expired.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could always go to the Rental Market and get a used well maintained RV with a warranty. That they will honor.

El Monte RV has a 1 year or 12000 mile warranty

Cruise America only has a 3 month or 3000 mile warranty.

Many of the others have the same or better warranty,some still have the MFG Warranty still in place.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

If I was buying an RV, I'd buy late model used. Let the original owner deal with warranty items.

I did buy new and consider myself lucky I had no warranty issues but that isn't the norm, rather the exception.

We own one of the exceptions too. We bought our FW brand new in 2010 and it was well made. No warranty issues. Due to the quality, we are keeping it. If we had to buy again, we would buy a late, well-built model.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO the "buy used" guys are just a bit more vocal about their choice which, of course, is their option. For 50+ years I have been a "buy new" guy because once the RV, vehicle, etc. becomes used, I know that it was taken care of. I've always been concerned about the possibility that a previous owner is dumping a lemon as opposed to fixing all the problems. With regard to price--the important thing about buying new is not paying too much. RVs are about 35% profit, and I wouldn't buy one without getting a 25 - 30% discount. There are "wholesale" dealers who claim to be down close to the bottom of the profit range. MSRP will range all over the map because there aren't Federal regulations on it for RVs. But one can get an idea of what a decent MSRP should be by comparing many online prices on sites such as RV Trader. New dealers often pressure to buy extended warranties. I don't buy whole unit extended warranties because one should be able to get everything fixed the first year in the structure. Beyond that I will occasionally buy extended warranties offered on appliances offered by the appliance manufacturer especially ACs because I have had trouble with those. The RV manufacturers change model years in March so the 2021 models will be coming out next spring--you would want a really good discount on a 2019 at this point. If you buy a Forest River product (and the Forest River hatters will now pile on) you can get virtually anything fixed free for up to two years by attending a rally in IN in August. My favorite low price dealer is WANARV.COM in Shipshewana, IN. Low ball prices, no Doc fees, no delivery charge, and friendly to deal with. Sometimes the real price is actually lower than their web site (hint). They are not handy to just everyone, but I have seen folks from Kansas to Canada picking up trailers there. Good luck shopping.

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not affiliated with WANARV in any way--just a 2 time happy purchaser.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> No Warranty on your RV? Don't buy new?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.