cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water filter upstream of the pump?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thinking to add a sediment filter (and a proper strainer instead of a tiny strainer that came with my pump).

With my plumbing it's easier to install it upstream of the pump: tank -> 50 or 100 micron strainer -> 5 micron sediment filter -> pump.
I see most people installing filter downstream of the pump: tank-> strainer -> pump -> filter.

Is there any reason not to install the filter upstream, other than risk of pump running dry when filter clogs?

Also, what is your experience with <= 0.5 micron block carbon filters after sediment filter - is water pressure still tolerable? Shower is where my pump is definitely struggling. As much as I don't want any cr-ap on my skin and on remaining hair, I have doubts about carbon in this scenario.
11 REPLIES 11

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Most RV water pumps are diaphragm pumps and can run dry with no damage. So I suppose you could put the filter on the inlet side of the pump without damaging the pump. Also since they are a diaphragm pump they can tolerate some fine particles without damage unlike a spinning impeller or plunger type of pump.

But as said above, it is much harder for the pump to suck water through the inlet than it is to blow the water through the outlet. the good thing is you're dealing with plastic pipe which is easy to cut and repair. So try it on the inlet side and see how it works. If you are unhappy with the water flow move it to the outlet side.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I use the cannister type filters at the tank fill point so that the water is highly filtered before reaching the tank. The kitchen faucet filters can be tricky if you forget about them when you winterize.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
It's basic hydro...

In order to push water thru the filter, the upstream side pressure has to be higher than the downstream side. If the filter clogs, it needs a bigger pressure if you want any significant amount of water to pass thru.
- Upstream of the pump is gravity fed. Let's say you have a really deep fresh water tank (2ft deep) and it's full to the brim and the filter is flush with the bottom...2ft of head will generate about 0.9psi. So the theoretical max pressure differential across the filter is 0.9psi..though in reality it will be less as you won't be able to drop it to 0.0psi if there is water flowing and most tanks are not always full nor are they 2ft deep.
- On the downstream side of the pump, the pumps generally put out pressure somewhere on the order of 30-50psi...that's a lot more pressure available to push water thru the filter while still retaining enough pressure to send the water to the various outlets.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
It's much easier to pump water than it is to pull it. Ie: You can only life water about 24 feet (before the column separates) but you can pump it as high as you want depending on the construction of your pump (think deepwell pumps). RV pumps aren't designed to pull water very far - they are usually installed below the level of water in the fresh water tank. Mount your fine filter in the discharge of the pump but don't expect to pump the kind of a stream you'll want at your faucets - it will more than likely dribble out of the faucets.

I run all the water I put into my RV through a cheap charcoal filter - it removes all the bad tastes. I also have a 0.5 micron filter for a drinking water spigot at the kitchen sink but mostly we buy RO water at local stores for drinking and cooking.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Ask the camp. You may not need any, especially if on city water.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
It's common to have a strainer at the inlet of a pump but other than that you never restrict the inlet. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a whole house filter between the tap and the RV. If filling the fresh water tank, I use the whole house filter before the water goes into the tank.

In 2009 we went to Fort Wilderness at Disneyworld. I hooked to their shore water without a filter. I sold that RV in 2017 and it still had sand in there. That is why every drop of water that goes into my RV plumbing goes through that whole house filter.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
beemerphile1 wrote:
... a .5 carbon block filter in the kitchen which only feeds a separate faucet at the kitchen sink.

This would complicate the layout but I like the idea.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Tried it, pump continually cycled at an extremely rapid rate. I believed it would destroy something if allowed to continue.

I now use a sediment filter when filling the tank and a .5 carbon block filter in the kitchen which only feeds a separate faucet at the kitchen sink.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Does the pump manufacturer have a position on filters and/or where to install?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
The pump may have a harder time pulling liquid through a filter as opposed to the simple strainer. Prefilling the filter might help to get the flow started.