cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer upgrade

Ernie_Fergler
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering upgrading my 5er soon. Narrowed down my choices to either the Montana 3121RL, or Solitude 310GK. As far as I can tell, they are the same trailer with a few insignificant differences. I lean toward the Montana because of the heavier suspension and higher CCC. DW prefers the Solitude ( for unknown reasons). The Montana is a little less $$$ which also steers me toward it. Anybody have any input to help me decide?
2016 Ram 3500 dually, Aisen, 4.10 gear, 4x4, 8 ft bed
2020 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2013 arctic fox 990>"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
16 REPLIES 16

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Ernie Fergler wrote:
Thanks for the input. Went and tried to make the deal,but couldn't come together on a trade agreement. 5K apart on the Montana, and 10K on the Solitude. Think we'll check out a bighorn next week.

Ernie

Don't be afraid to shop outside your "local" area. Find a dealer, wherever, who will beat the local "deal", and show the local guys a valid quote and see if they'll do better. Be =serious= if they waffle and walk out and be prepared to take the other deal. Now, if your local dealer will come close, enough so that the travel would make the "far" deal a near-wash, then make the local deal. Personally, I was willing to go cross-country to get a good price. In the end, didn't need to.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
You don’t indicate a need to upgrade. If money is no object...no, the thrifty people I know that are RICH don’t spend without a need.

Why is the OP required to indicate a "need"? Why can't you just give your opinion on the two models indicated in the post instead of posting some sort of BS reply?

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
Good time of year to get a discount.

This IS probably the best time for a good deal. 3 years ago this week we made the deal on our rig. We were new to the game and got 34% off plus almost half off the price of our Demco autoslide hitch with puck adapter without hardly trying. It was a leftover trailer and I probably could've done a little better with some effort.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Ernie_Fergler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. Went and tried to make the deal,but couldn't come together on a trade agreement. 5K apart on the Montana, and 10K on the Solitude. Think we'll check out a bighorn next week.

Ernie

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good time of year to get a discount.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
garyp4951 wrote:
... The Grand Design is over priced, and dealers are limited on how much they can discount them.

Not entirely true. We've negotiated 28 - 30% off MSRP on both our Grand Design fifth wheels.

Rob

The dealer we are looking at discounts Grand Design 30% without negotiation. New 2020 310GK $64k

There is definitely plenty of room for discounts on these.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Ernie,

I know you've already selected your specific model types, but I'd like to ask anyway, have you considered the 5er Front Living room models.

We have a Montana High Country with a front living room, and we absolutely love this arrangement. The bed room is in the back, living room above the hitch over-hang. There's no walls between the living room area and the kitchen area. The heat difference between the upper level and the lower level is not noticeable at all, and there is ample room in the living room area for 6 people to sit comfortable.

Ours is the Montana High Country 375FL, which has the second door on the back side of the trailer. There is no island in the kitchen, which makes everything accessible when all the slides are in.

Just asking, if you haven't considered a front living model, you might want to check them out before making a final decision.

Google Search, click here.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michelle.S wrote:
I agree with Lady RVer, if you go with the Montana and have even the slightest of issues you will hear about it from the DW.

You left off FOREVER at the end of that sentence.
In this case I would also go with the Solitude.
Puma 30RKSS

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
This thread is pretty apropos for us. We have been shopping over the last week we have been looking at Jayco Pinnacle, Grand Design Solitude, Vanleigh Vilano and the Keystone Montana.

These trailers all have the same floorpans.

Our take between the Solitude and the Montana:

Montana:
Not a wide body but still comfortable inside. Really not too noticeable.
Smaller fresh water tank
Central "command" station that handles all the camper electrics. Scares me a little if the "motherboard" were to quit.
Nice finish carpentry on the cabinets.
Big windows on the camp side not encumbered by casework above the theater seating.
Less expensive
Bigger cargo carrying capacity.

Solitude:
Bigger fresh water holding tank.
Wide body 8'-5" This shows mainly in the bedroom where there is more space between the bed and the dresser. Also nice pull out chest in the bedroom to store shoes and sit on.
Bigger master bed closet.
HUGE windows in the passenger side slide.
Nicer wood casework. The current 2020 Montana has aweful (In our opinion) choices on the casework colors and not what is shown on their website or current catalog.
Pop up TV adds even more light into the camper when not watching TV.
Love the interior design, wood colors.

Both units have 6 point hydraulic leveling and hydraulic main slides.

We have eliminated from our list the Vilano. The casework construction and fit was pretty bad on the 3 units we looked at. The Vilano also uses Lippert axles rather the the Dexter axles like the Montana and Grand Design.

We also eliminated the Pinnacle from our list. Schwintek electric slides were so slow and really seemed to struggle closing the driver side slide. Also bumped my head getting into the bedroom. Lot's to like though on the Pinnacles fit and finish.

So that leaves the Solitude and the Montana. We haven't decided yet and may come down who will give the biggest discounts. Looking for 30% +

We are also considering the Montana with the Legacy package which upgrades cabinets framing adds a retractable power cord, disc brakes, surge protector and a few other things.

Decisions...decisions...
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyp4951 wrote:
... The Grand Design is over priced, and dealers are limited on how much they can discount them.

Not entirely true. We've negotiated 28 - 30% off MSRP on both our Grand Design fifth wheels.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Ernie_Fergler
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
I agree with Lady RVer, if you go with the Montana and have even the slightest of issues you will hear about it from the DW.

Exactly my thought. It was my plan all along.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Montana, had 2... but being a female (and a widow!) if DW prefers the Solitude, my 2 cents.. make her happy!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You don’t indicate a need to upgrade. If money is no object...no, the thrifty people I know that are RICH don’t spend without a need.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad