cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flip Phone

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone recommend a Verizon reseller that I can use a flip phone?
30 REPLIES 30

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
The issue is not about flip phones or who sells flip phones, the issue is that Verizon is terminating their older 1-3G networks and non HD portions of their 4G and LTE networks.
The OP's present flip phone is a Kyocera Cadence LTE which is 4G LTE.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
The issue is not about flip phones or who sells flip phones, the issue is that Verizon is terminating their older 1-3G networks and non HD portions of their 4G and LTE networks. Starting January 1 2020, no new account on those networks will be accepted. Starting January 1 2021, they will begin the systematic terminating of that service.

This means starting the new year, you can't activate any new service that uses those systems on the Verizon network be it through Verizon or any other provider. So unless yo already have service activated come the first of the year, you wont be able to get activated using those older networks.

Come 2021, they will be systematically shutting those networks down and any phone that uses the 1-3G or non HD 4G or LTE networks will become paper weights. It doesn't matter if you are a Verizon customer, TracFone, Total Wireless, Straight Talk or any other MVNO customer that uses Verizon's network, if you use those older networks, your days are numbered!
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've used flip phones for years and didn't want to give them up since they worked well for me. However, in recent times, the volume of scam calls I was receiving made the phone almost unusable. So I went to a smart phone (Samsung J3 on Verizon network) and the scam calls were greatly reduced. I'm happy with my smart phone and don't believe I'll return to a flip type again.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
free radical wrote:
In Canada flip phones dont even exist,at least I havent seen any in stores.
Sure they do - I have a Telus flip phone.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Flip phones do have an advantage. They only need to see one tower to work, where smartphones need two. I know that's true for texting for sure. When we go to the beach in Oregon, our T Mobile phones won't work, but my daughters flip phone does.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
Well, if you have US$1,500 & can wait until Dec. 26th to pre-order, you can buy the new Motorola Razr 2019.
It's a full smartphone that folds horizontally across the middle, to match the original Razr phone form factor, exclusively with VZN in the US. It even has an overlay for the phone mode to match the original phone keyboard, for those of us nostalgics.
High on my drool list!

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to Verizon Wireless website they show 6 flip phones they are selling. My wife has a flip phone and wants nothing more. She does however need a new phone. We pay $109 for 400 minutes good for a year and she has yet to run out.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Texting on a flip phone is an exercise in frustration for me. And I'd rather text than talk, conversations are much shorter, and I hate talking on the phone.

But the future usability of a flip phone is what I would be concerned with. There are some new ones on the market that will work with the updated systems though.

Some of us use text to plan phone calls, now that not driving all the time. Had one dispatcher that got his panties in a wad if I would not answer, or hung up as soon as he said something that indicated it was not a emergency. Kept telling me to get hands free. Did not understand they did not sell spare minds, with big motor and only one gearshift the hand was not the issue.
A lot of both incoming, and out going texts on my phone are "Can you talk"
When working I carried a flip and late a smart, at the same time. One thing I liked about the flip was I could have half a dozen numbers that could dial with a couple of buttons by feel. "What is your wife's phone number?" "2"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Texting on a flip phone is an exercise in frustration for me. And I'd rather text than talk, conversations are much shorter, and I hate talking on the phone.

But the future usability of a flip phone is what I would be concerned with. There are some new ones on the market that will work with the updated systems though.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess being only 65 I am just too young for this topic. I am not sure how pushing a button on a updated phone is harder than pushing a button on a flip phone but to each his own!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

free radical wrote:

I have seen a number of them here and there.
Check out Best Buy, they have them. Lots on Amazon too and other stores.
I really liked my old flip phones before I went to smartphones.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer

I wouldnt mind having a FP for its simplicity ease of use with one hand and durability when if acidently droped.

Was thinking about buying one of these flipers when visiting Japan but it wouldnt work on our network here

https://youtu.be/N0f3hGYW4R4

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Tracfone shows two flip phones on their website. The Alcatel runs on ATT and I believe the ZTE flip phone runs on Verizon.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hah... Not a phone issue but ... about 15 years ago, my then FIL (in his mid 80โ€™s) had three cars - A mid 60โ€™s Ford Country Squire station wagon, a mid 70โ€™s Jeep 4 door something, and a mid 80โ€™s Chrysler New Yorker. One day he arrives at my house in a recent model Buick Custom, not a very high tech vehicle but more so than anything else he had, and he had kept the other three. A few weeks later he comes back to my house driving the Jeep. I had to ask - โ€œJimmy why did you not drive the Buick?โ€ To which he responded โ€œI canโ€™t figure out all the buttons and knobsโ€. Now that Iโ€™m in my mid 60โ€™s, Iโ€™m starting to both understand and empathize with his plight.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT