cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking website -- Windows 10

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I keep getting a number of advertisements from this one website. I wish to block this website. I have edited my hosts file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc by adding 127.0.0.1 www.xxxxxxx.com. I continue to get advertisements. I have tested to see if the blocking worked by googling the unwanted site. I can go directly to the site from Google. Clearly, I’m doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Can you suggest a third party software that will block incoming websites. The third party software that I have found appear to block outgoing websites to limit underage children from some sites. I need to block incoming sites.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
8 REPLIES 8

MrWizard
I use malware bytes & adaware ad blocker,
Did you check your firewall settings, it is turned on ! Right..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Are you currently up to date on the latest version of Windows 10 Home, Version: 1909? If not to the updates. What version are you on?

I only see on garbage e-mail show up in "Other" mailbox. Clicking the garbage icon found of e-mail title removed it.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you sure you are blocking the right site? The URL in the ad and the URL sending the ad may be diferent. That's all I can say.

Sounds like you know how to edit the host file.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
Another recommendation for uBlock Origin, and Malwarebytes. Also, I'd try Chrome instead of Firefox. And I haven't touched Internet Explorer in months, unless I'm using my work computer...

Microsoft is coming out with another browser that is Chromium based.

here, use at your discretion

You do have to run a scan every so often with Malwarebytes, unless you pay for it, then you can schedule scans.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I use and believe in Malware Bytes. I recommend you download and install it on your computer, then run a scan. Malware Bytes allows you to use it free for 14 days. During those 14 days, it runs in the background to protect you. After the trial period, it no longer runs in the background unless you purchase a subscription - but you can still use it for free. You just need to manually run the scans. It's VERY GOOD at find nefarious software on your PC and quarantining it so it can't cause any damage.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It does sound like you might have some malware. You could always try malwarebytes.com and click on free downloads then let it run for a few hours and see what you get. If you just want to block popups and such I run uBlock origin on my browser (firefox) and it seems to keep most everything including youtube ads from popping up.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Not enough info. Are getting advertisements via email, popping up in a browser, or just popping up as a new window on your computer? What applications you are using (browser, email client, etc)?

Email advertisements are easily blocked in email clients. For example I use Gmail and in the Gmail Settings/Filters and Blocked Addresses it is easy to block emails from any domain.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you have some malware that got on your computer and not an external web site sending you info.

I could be wrong but that is what it seems
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie