cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery monitor gauge upgrade

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for suggestions to monitor 2 trojan T-105 6 volts I presently use in my 30ft. Class C.
12 REPLIES 12

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no life. Had a volt/amp meter as part of the solar system for a boat some time ago. The thing was so sensitive it knew when a thin cloud went by or when the sound system was turned up.

One can never have enough gauges to look at.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dsmuir
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the https://www.amazon.com/AiLi-Battery-Monitor-Voltmeter-Motorhome/dp/B07CTKYFTG/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2MPJX2...Aili battery monitor as it is cheap and monitors both outgoing and in-going volts and amps along with % of Amp/Hours in batteries. When boondocking it is nice to know what the solar panels are adding to the batteries and seeing what devices are drawing from the batteries.This comes with a shunt that is placed off the negative battery terminal. The deluxe solution is the https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energy-MONITOR-VTBMV-S-BMV-712-Battery/dp/B075RTSTKS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?...Victron BMV712 but much more expensive and it has bluetooth so can check many more things with your cell phone.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I built a monitor panel up suing one of those three position light switch plastic panels... Have three meters glued to the panel..

This monitor the DC VOLTS coming from my two batteries groups and DC AMPS feeding my setup.

The two DC VOLTS will read the same DC VOLTAGES if both battery banks have been selected. Sometimes I will be using One battery bank while I am charge the second battery bank...

I like to monitor the 12VDC Battery voltages when camping off-grid so that I will not want to go below the 12.0VDC level which is approximately the 50% charge state of the batteries... When this happens I want to be start my battery charge operations as soon as possible using my 2KW Generator setup. Most of the time I do the three hour charge mode starting around 8AM each morning during our breakfast time...

I have this panel mounted on a side panel just as you enter my off-road POPUP camper...

Roy's image

Roy's iamge

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
I've never felt the need for more than a digital volt meter. Make sure it is a 2 place decimal (hundredths of a volt).

You can definitely go more complicated, and spend your life looking at amp in/out values, and if that's something you enjoy, go for it.

X2. I have a factory One Place Monitor Panel with voltage readouts for chassis and house, and a factory installed Zamp ZS-30A solar charge controller display of charging status, voltage, amps in, total harvested amps, and they were already installed in my rig. Fancy digital voltmeters? Together, they're probably good enough for me.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend the Bogart Engineering TM-2023-TV.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Before the depression, I did a lot of boat work and still keep some track of the technology.
I will advise that if you plan the work the bank near its capacity I will recommend that you look at both the Trimetric and the Victron monitors both.
<>
<>

These are not inexpensive devices, but are worth the cost of both purchase and installation.

If you scan E-bay, you will find many devices that look like this, but they have very little, if any, technical support available. That can matter a whole lot.

Yes, they are expensive, but one instrument should still be less than what you paid for the pair of T-105s, and you will only have to buy it once.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
https://learntorv.com/victron-battery-monitor/
x2
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Contrary to the others, I prefer a meter that counts amps in vs. amps out for tracking the battery's state of charge.

My choice is the Victron BMV. I like it because there's a Bluetooth interface and I can just check the status of my batteries from my phone as long as I'm 20-30' from the batteries.

This is what I have:
https://learntorv.com/victron-battery-monitor/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I have a voltmeter and a (bidirectional) digital panel ammeter that shows the charge or discharge current for the battery. Many of the inexpensive panel ammeters available cannot measure bidirectionally, and it required a bit of extra fiddling (installing a little isolated DC-DC converter so the ammeter's supply isn't referenced to ground) to be able to get the bidirectional readings, but it's most useful to be able to see both charge current and discharge current.

Oasisbob wrote:
I would go with a quality digital volt meter mounted close as possible to the power bank.

Mounting the voltmeter close to the battery bank is not essential for an accurate reading. Connecting the sense wires as close as practical to the battery bank is important, but they can be run quite a distance without materially affecting the accuracy as the amount of current they carry (and hence the voltage drop due to wire resistance) is miniscule. This is doubly true if you have the sense wires separated from the power supply wires.

The same applies to the sense wires from a current shunt, as well; they can be any halfway reasonable length without appreciably impacting the accuracy of the reading, for the same reasons.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Hundredths is helpful? IMO if you need to watch that close more/bigger batteries are in order.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I've never felt the need for more than a digital volt meter. Make sure it is a 2 place decimal (hundredths of a volt).

You can definitely go more complicated, and spend your life looking at amp in/out values, and if that's something you enjoy, go for it.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with a quality digital volt meter mounted close as possible to the power bank.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)