cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 1500 towing...

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 CC with a 3.21 rear end and 8 speed trans. I am looking at a Toy Hauler with a dry weight of 4,700 lbs and a hitch weight of 670 lbs. I know my truck isn't a tow monster, but how bad will my truck struggle?

I bought this truck because I thought I was done with the whole RV scene, but I came across this little toy hauler and it looks like fun.
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT,4x4,Crew, Duramax EFI Live
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge
27 REPLIES 27

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get the "toy" in the trailer, and depending on how the trailer is laid out with the location and amount of fresh water and so forth it, the hitch weight may be reduced somewhat depending also on how heavy the toy is. With a WDH, I dont see it being overly painful. Probably the biggest issue is you relating to how your previous trucks pulled compared to the 1500. My guess is you will, without even realizing it start pursing lots for a bigger truck. Had this been your first encounter with a TV, you wouldnt know what you were missing.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It is due to the vehicle weight. The payload is the wt of the vehicle, as it left the factory, subtracted from that vehicles GVWR.

Example: Ram weighed 8k as built. The GVWR is 10K, making the payload sticker number 2K

Axle/tire ratings much more important!

Jerry

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
MFL wrote:
I'm not familiar with Ram 1/2 tons, but even with the taller gearing, I'd expect more than 7,800 lbs towing, from a 5.7 hemi with 8-speed?? Payload 1200 lbs???...think my wife's little SUV (Escape) has a similar payload, and is the loaded Limited Edition.

If Grit says it will work, I'd go for it!!

Jerry

Yea, I balk at that all day long.

1200 lbs in that Ram and you will hardly notice the load. 1200 lbs in the escape and you will know you are loaded heavy.

My lightbulb moment came when I commented on here about a 3/4 ton MegaCab 4x4 Cummins only having 1800 lbs of payload. Someone commented that 1800 lbs in the bed wouldn’t even make it squat, despite what the silly sticker says.

Just my opinion based on experience.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

This might be for another thread, but here it goes. I went from an '06 Duramax with a payload of 2200 lbs to a 2016 Cummins with a 2000 lb payload. I towed the same fifth wheel with both and the Ram (with the lower payload) towed much more stable than the Duramax. I know the numbers are given for a reason, but why are Rams numbers so low?

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe RAM does it differently, but are Tow-Haul button, IBC, software (mainly duty cycle, anti-hunting algorithms, etc) there ?
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I think all the Rams have the basic towing components (cooling, etc.) installed. I played on the "build your Ram" site, and the only extra towing stuff is the mirrors, cameras and brake controller.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
davisenvy wrote:
I pulled the plastic cover off the engine to verify that there is a transmission cooler and I am wired for OEM brake controller. I know the engine will pull it, I know the trans will hunt, but I wasn't sure about the coil vs leaf springs.

The rear coil spring makes for the best unloaded ride in a 150/1500 series truck, but they do tend to sag when trailering. There are companies that make stiffer replacement springs (TufTruckSprings.com) that slip right in, and of course there are Timbrens and air bag kits are available among many other options.

Basically, if you hauling near max payload in a Ram 1500 newer than 2009 (when they introduced the rear coils), you are likely to need some rear suspension add-ons.

I had a 2500 with the rear coils and found them to be very robust and not prone to sagging like the 1500s. The 2014 2500 I had with rear coils sagged less than the 2007 3500 SRW I had owned previously - and I tested and measured it with the same RV.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I didn’t mean hunt like hunt for gears. Yes it will do a bunch more shifting than running bobtail, but the 8hp70 is about the best slushbox out there.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled the plastic cover off the engine to verify that there is a transmission cooler and I am wired for OEM brake controller. I know the engine will pull it, I know the trans will hunt, but I wasn't sure about the coil vs leaf springs.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ScottG wrote:
Try to find your actual tow rating because I *think* your 3.21 diff is very telling and indicates you don't have any tow package. So no extra trans or PS coolers, etc.

1500 Hemi CC 3.21 geared truck is rated between 7800-8000lb towing.
So, dog will hunt. No problem.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Yup, you're right jerem! You get it. Others.....not so much.

Well I was wrong about this being a runaway thread. Weight cops are either sleeping or pontificating more than driveling.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
No need for name calling, Grit dog. I don’t call you “a foolish overloader” do I? We just disagree.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I'm not familiar with Ram 1/2 tons, but even with the taller gearing, I'd expect more than 7,800 lbs towing, from a 5.7 hemi with 8-speed?? Payload 1200 lbs???...think my wife's little SUV (Escape) has a similar payload, and is the loaded Limited Edition.

If Grit says it will work, I'd go for it!!

Jerry

Yea, I balk at that all day long.

1200 lbs in that Ram and you will hardly notice the load. 1200 lbs in the escape and you will know you are loaded heavy.

My lightbulb moment came when I commented on here about a 3/4 ton MegaCab 4x4 Cummins only having 1800 lbs of payload. Someone commented that 1800 lbs in the bed wouldn’t even make it squat, despite what the silly sticker says.

Just my opinion based on experience.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Try to find your actual tow rating because I *think* your 3.21 diff is very telling and indicates you don't have any tow package. So no extra trans or PS coolers, etc.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned - a lot of opinions will come flooding along on both sides. Since you don't own the trailer, the best thing you can do is calculate with as true a sense of numbers as you can. As others have said, your major limitation is payload. In addition to considering the question of who/what else will be in the truck, the nature of the TH is key. The dry hitch weight is at about 14%. Where is the cargo area? If it's in front of the axles, your proportional TW will spike when loaded. If it's behind the axles, the TW ratio will actually drop (note that I said TW ratio, not the actual TW!).

All in all, without a lot more info, it's hard to judge. At first glance, my sense would be that, if the cargo is behind the axles, you MIGHT be able to swing it if you are generally driving with a pretty empty truck and what you put in cargo is pretty light. If the cargo is over or in front of the axles, it is likely a non-starter!