Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Ram 1500 towing...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram 1500 towing...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
davisenvy

Franklin, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2017 Ram 1500 CC with a 3.21 rear end and 8 speed trans. I am looking at a Toy Hauler with a dry weight of 4,700 lbs and a hitch weight of 670 lbs. I know my truck isn't a tow monster, but how bad will my truck struggle?

I bought this truck because I thought I was done with the whole RV scene, but I came across this little toy hauler and it looks like fun.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT,4x4,Crew, Duramax EFI Live
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why did you leave out your RAM’s engine numbers, max trailer weight and payload? What is your estimated TH weight loaded and wet? 7k+?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you mean by “struggle”?

MNGeeks61

Minneapolis, MN

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toy haulers run a bit heavier on hitch weight...

Also, look at the door jamb and see if you can find the cargo capacity, don't know that...is it the v6, or the Hemi 5.7? Towing capacity can be a lot different also, depends on the trim level too.

Does the truck have the tow package? i.e. factory hitch (should tell you how much the hitch is rated for) and tranny cooler. Not required mind you, but you are talking 5500-6000 pounds after loading everything.

So I can't say it'll struggle, or tow just fine. You could have a tow capacity of 10k plus or 5000.

davisenvy

Franklin, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a payload of 1200 lbs and max towing of 7,800. Hemi V8, stock class IV hitch, not sure about the trans cooler. I will have to add trailer brakes to the truck though.

Struggle, as in will the back bumper hit the ground, transmission strain and over heat, will the tail wag the dog, that type of thing. This is my first half ton truck and have always towed with a Cummins or Duramax. Got tired of the diesel scene and went half ton. Absolutely love the truck! It tows my 3,500 lb MasterCraft just fine, but that's about half of what I plan on towing. Just because a truck is rated at X, it doesn't mean it will be fun or even safe towing that weight. This is the "struggle" I am having.

Thanks for your responses.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Youshould get a weight distribution hitch to help to level the truck out.
I doubt whether you will have any struggling. Your transmssion could search in some conditions.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

davisenvy

Franklin, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Youshould get a weight distribution hitch to help to level the truck out.
I doubt whether you will have any struggling. Your transmssion could search in some conditions.

I will definitely have a WD hitch and anti sway.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

davisenvy wrote:

I have a payload of 1200 lbs and max towing of 7,800. Hemi V8, stock class IV hitch, not sure about the trans cooler. I will have to add trailer brakes to the truck though.

Bottom line is that with a measly payload of only 1200lbs, you're going to be very limited, ESPECIALLY for a toyhauler.
Second, having a hitch RECEIVER doesn't mean it has the factory tow package, which would include a trans cooler and pre-wiring for a brake controller.
Forget the Max towing number, with a payload of 1200lbs, you'd never even get close to 7800lbs.
Lastly, using fictional website/brochure dry weight numbers is a common newbie mistake. NO RV weighs that near those numbers, especially when loaded. With a bogus tongue weight of 670lbs, it could easily weigh 1000lbs with the toy and stuff in the trailer. Subtract 100lbs for the WDH, that leaves you 100lbs for the driver, passengers and stuff in the truck.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I have a payload of 1200 lbs and max towing of 7,800"

So we are similar except I pull 5200 pounds with 1710 pounds of payload. Empty my TT is 3800...1400 pounds of "stuff" including an extra kitchen sink. Seriously, you will load a similar amount of stuff including water, batteries, propane. You'll run out of payload. It will squat badly IMO...mine went down 2 inches so I installed air bags...but I am not over payload as you will be.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You’ll be fine , totally.
Only struggling will be the RV net weight cops struggling to admit it’s ok.
See a couple have showed up already. Expect 3 pages of bickering and OMGs by nightfall.... Pacific time.. lol

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram 1500 towing...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.