Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Ram 1500 towing...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram 1500 towing...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not familiar with Ram 1/2 tons, but even with the taller gearing, I'd expect more than 7,800 lbs towing, from a 5.7 hemi with 8-speed?? Payload 1200 lbs???...think my wife's little SUV (Escape) has a similar payload, and is the loaded Limited Edition.

If Grit says it will work, I'd go for it!!

Jerry

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The struggle is the rear axle capacity and the passenger rated tires and rims on the 1500. If you can keep within those, the engine and transmission will do fine for that weight. Expect the tongue weight to be 15-17 percent of the gross trailer weight rating in real life, so take some weights and record some ratings and see where you end up.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog - ahahahahaha no kidding [emoticon]

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

The struggle is the rear axle capacity and the passenger rated tires and rims on the 1500. If you can keep within those, the engine and transmission will do fine for that weight. Expect the tongue weight to be 15-17 percent of the gross trailer weight rating in real life, so take some weights and record some ratings and see where you end up.
Yep! Your rear axle capacity should be 3900 lbs, which should give you quite a bit of cushion over that meager payload capacity. Your factory hitch should be rated about 1100 lbs. Even those paltry P rated tires, if aired to max, should be more than enough for the max axle rating. Ram 1500s are softly sprung, so if you don't have air ride, you will get some sag, but it doesn't mean your truck is straining. Just the nature of the beast.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned - a lot of opinions will come flooding along on both sides. Since you don't own the trailer, the best thing you can do is calculate with as true a sense of numbers as you can. As others have said, your major limitation is payload. In addition to considering the question of who/what else will be in the truck, the nature of the TH is key. The dry hitch weight is at about 14%. Where is the cargo area? If it's in front of the axles, your proportional TW will spike when loaded. If it's behind the axles, the TW ratio will actually drop (note that I said TW ratio, not the actual TW!).

All in all, without a lot more info, it's hard to judge. At first glance, my sense would be that, if the cargo is behind the axles, you MIGHT be able to swing it if you are generally driving with a pretty empty truck and what you put in cargo is pretty light. If the cargo is over or in front of the axles, it is likely a non-starter!

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try to find your actual tow rating because I *think* your 3.21 diff is very telling and indicates you don't have any tow package. So no extra trans or PS coolers, etc.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

I'm not familiar with Ram 1/2 tons, but even with the taller gearing, I'd expect more than 7,800 lbs towing, from a 5.7 hemi with 8-speed?? Payload 1200 lbs???...think my wife's little SUV (Escape) has a similar payload, and is the loaded Limited Edition.

If Grit says it will work, I'd go for it!!

Jerry

Yea, I balk at that all day long.

1200 lbs in that Ram and you will hardly notice the load. 1200 lbs in the escape and you will know you are loaded heavy.

My lightbulb moment came when I commented on here about a 3/4 ton MegaCab 4x4 Cummins only having 1800 lbs of payload. Someone commented that 1800 lbs in the bed wouldn’t even make it squat, despite what the silly sticker says.

Just my opinion based on experience.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

TV- 2011 Chevy Tahoe, 2WD, Hayden transmission cooler
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control
Tekonsha Voyager brake controller (Great Brake Controller)

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Lwiddis

near Jawbone Canyon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/19 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No need for name calling, Grit dog. I don’t call you “a foolish overloader” do I? We just disagree.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Yup, you're right jerem! You get it. Others.....not so much.

Well I was wrong about this being a runaway thread. Weight cops are either sleeping or pontificating more than driveling.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Try to find your actual tow rating because I *think* your 3.21 diff is very telling and indicates you don't have any tow package. So no extra trans or PS coolers, etc.

1500 Hemi CC 3.21 geared truck is rated between 7800-8000lb towing.
So, dog will hunt. No problem.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram 1500 towing...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.