cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much water to ad to black tank when starting out.?

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a beginner and have never had trouble with blockage but know a number of people who have, My neighbor in this RV park is currently stopped up and had to buy a solution to dump into her tank to free it. I normally ad between 3 and 4 gallons of water and two containers of treatment to start out and have never had a problem. What is the minimum you should start out with in the black tank. Is it different while driving on a trip than when you are stationary in a park? Opinions will be respected.
39 REPLIES 39

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
We don’t pre-add water. We go to the bathroom a lot though so it never really dries out.
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:
3-5 gallons.

Correct answer (and a couple others). Use granular laundry soap once in while too, before traveling (said prior). That stuuf they sell to breakdown solid waste is useless....It's just deoderizer.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
Like you, I put about 4 gallons of fresh water in the black tank after emptying - but I've never used any additives. I've also not had any issues in over four years of full-timing. Several times a year I will use the "Geo method" to clean the tanks: about 1/3 tank of clean water with some dish detergent and borax crystals before hitting the road. The agitation and solution help clean off the level sensors and get residual "stuff" off the sides of the tank(s).

Rob

I adopted the Geo Method a number of years ago. After I dump the Black tank, I like to put in a 1/2 bottle of Calgon and a good bit of dish soap. I top it off with 3-4 gallons of water. The ride to my home cleanses the tank. I do he same with my Grey Tank. BTW: It never hurts to put some in your sink traps. No odors...

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nada.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just hold the toilet plunge open for a minute or so. No problems.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
black tank flush after dumping & closing the black valve 3-4 minutes, yes minutes. I drive to the next RV Park and dump as needed. When leaving, dump flush and add as stated. Repeat, not a chance it will clog and the clean water driving helps breakup & clean for the next stop. I have a 57 gallon black and it takes weeks to fill with the added water.

(1 minute = 3-5 gallons depending on flow rate)
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Couple of full bowls, and generous water when flushing, never any additives. We are full-time though, so it is always being used.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:

You might also check to make sure she isn’t leaving the black tank valve open all the time. That will cause problems for sure.

:):)

Bingo! When hooked up at a park, leave your tank valve closed and don't open it till you dump it prior to leaving. Leaving the valve open allows liquids to flow through and the solids to sit. You need all the liquids in it to move the solids.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
5 gallon and a 10 pound bag of ice

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
In my 17 years with this trailer I have never even considered adding water. My bathroom sink does empty into black however. I do use an internal on board sprinkler type sprayer when I dump where available. Maybe that helps?

I am now 9 years+ full time and I NEVER add water after a dump. I do boondock a couple of weeks a year and really want full black tank capacity when I start. If you are going to be using it why start out with extra water in the tank?
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Fill the toilet to the top twice. About 3 or so gallons.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
I put two gallons in my 25 gallon black tank after dumping but most of the first couple of gallons dishwater gets poured into it too.

We use plastic totes in the kitchen sinks for washing and do the exact same thing. Nice warm soapy dishwater, works like a charm!
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
pianotuna wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
After dumping I let the tank sprayer run for 30 seconds to maybe a minute. I would guess that equates to about a gallon of water.

Please don't guess. Next time simply measure the liquid.

I don't add water before trips. I don't use chemicals. I have had zero problems with the waste tanks.

Nah, I just don't put that much thought into dumping the tank to worry about it. The only reason I leave any water in it at all is...you know I'm not sure why I leave any water at all. I guess it's something I picked up here many years ago. I agree with not adding chemicals, never have and I don't notice a smell.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Grit dog wrote:
OP, presume you're in the park with the neighbor? Whatever you're doing must be working, so what doo you doo?
People fail to realize that campers on the move don't hardly ever have issues because they are on the move.
But if you're parked, it's like a portapotty. Even though there's liquid, mount poosoovius is still a real concern.

Use some common sense and don't just ASSume that once hanky the christmas poo disappears down the drain, he's magically gone!

Gritdog, well worded, that got a laugh out of me. 🙂
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup