Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How much water to ad to black tank when starting out.?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How much water to ad to black tank when starting out.?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Spade Cooley

Mountain View, AR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not a beginner and have never had trouble with blockage but know a number of people who have, My neighbor in this RV park is currently stopped up and had to buy a solution to dump into her tank to free it. I normally ad between 3 and 4 gallons of water and two containers of treatment to start out and have never had a problem. What is the minimum you should start out with in the black tank. Is it different while driving on a trip than when you are stationary in a park? Opinions will be respected.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like you, I put about 4 gallons of fresh water in the black tank after emptying - but I've never used any additives. I've also not had any issues in over four years of full-timing. Several times a year I will use the "Geo method" to clean the tanks: about 1/3 tank of clean water with some dish detergent and borax crystals before hitting the road. The agitation and solution help clean off the level sensors and get residual "stuff" off the sides of the tank(s).

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS and disc brakes
Solar
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a smaller rv only 24ft I put about a gal of water in the tank ,just its not sitting dry no chemicals. we empty the tank after each trip and hose out . I think thats the answer to not having a clogged tank.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion. It really depends on your black tank. You need enough water in it that solid waste can be mostly or completely submerged so it can soften up and or break down.
And yes it is different if you are sitting in a park vs moving around "stirring" the contents of the tank. The treatment chemicals are more important when sitting still.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually say about 10% of the capacity of the tank. Has worked great for me, never had a problem. Dish or laundry detergent are the only two chem's that I add to my tanks, again, not a problem.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never add water to the black tank when starting a trip cause I always keep some water in it which I think is the best thing to do to prevent “stuff” from sticking to the bottom, sides, valves. After I dump and flush, I simply put one or two toilet bowls worth of water in the tank.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pipe from the tank to the dump valve needs to be filled plus a few gallons more. Some dump valves are right on the tank and some are quite distant, so the answer will not be a certain number of gallons. If you can see the tank bottom, measure the number of gallons or bowl fulls it takes to cover the bottom of a completely empty tank. When using an additive to control the odor, don't add it till the water fills the aforementioned piping so it is in the tank.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

two full bowls of water should do the trick. Never leave it dry.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast - Winter in AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually use the tank sprayer after dumping so after a few minutes of rinsing, I close the black tank valve but leave the sprayer going long enough add at least a gallon or two.

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3-5 gallons.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How much water to ad to black tank when starting out.?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.