Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How much water to ad to black tank when starting out.?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How much water to ad to black tank when starting out.?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After dumping I let the tank sprayer run for 30 seconds to maybe a minute. I would guess that equates to about a gallon of water.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't add hardly a gallon. A small amount of treatment and do the power clean with the backwash about every 3rd or 4th dump. I run the backwash for about a 1/2 hour and also close and open the valve a few times.
Been doing this long before we even had the backwash. Never a problem and have been doing this for 20 years. Also we use our TT about 5 to 6 1/2 months a year....every year.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

After dumping I let the tank sprayer run for 30 seconds to maybe a minute. I would guess that equates to about a gallon of water.

Please don't guess. Next time simply measure the liquid.

I don't add water before trips. I don't use chemicals. I have had zero problems with the waste tanks.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we are ready to leave. I dump, and clean the tank, put in a packet of Camp chem, and add 5 gallons of water. I leave it there until the next time we need to dump while camping.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

When we are ready to leave. I dump, and clean the tank, put in a packet of Camp chem, and add 5 gallons of water. I leave it there until the next time we need to dump while camping.

Do you measure the 5 gallons?

Sincerely,
-pianotuna

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, presume you're in the park with the neighbor? Whatever you're doing must be working, so what doo you doo?
People fail to realize that campers on the move don't hardly ever have issues because they are on the move.
But if you're parked, it's like a portapotty. Even though there's liquid, mount poosoovius is still a real concern.

Use some common sense and don't just ASSume that once hanky the christmas poo disappears down the drain, he's magically gone!

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I don't add water before trips. I don't use chemicals. I have had zero problems with the waste tanks.
Me 2.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put two gallons in my 25 gallon black tank after dumping but most of the first couple of gallons dishwater gets poured into it too.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

Do you measure the 5 gallons?

Sincerely,
-pianotuna

The bowl holds right at a gallon of water when filled. I fill, and dump it 5 times. Thankfully. Our bathroom has a door to the out side. So I can use the hose to fill it, and not have to wait for the flush valve to do it.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a home dump station, so I clean and flush the tank when I get home, drain it completely. Don't add any water or chemicals before we leave. After a days use, I occasionally add some chemicals. You quickly add enough water once you start using the toilet. And we often dry camp for a week or more so I don't want any initial water in the black or grey tanks.

I 9 years we have camped probably close to 600+ days, and I've NEVER had an issue with black tank clogging.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How much water to ad to black tank when starting out.?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.