cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Letting diesel rv sit for 3 months

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
In Havasu City AZ in a park. Not moving the diesel rv for a little less than three months. Wondering if I need to take it out and drive enough to warm up to temp or can I safely let it sit?? How about the diesel generator? Can easily start it up under load. Thoughts? Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Running the generator dries out the generator end as well as exercising the motor.

Moisture is not an electrical component's friend.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
SuperBus wrote:
Regarding the question on your generator, Cummins Onan recommends running their generators under load for 30 minutes every month, if not in regular use.

I do this with my gasohol generators for sure - Onan and a little Honda.

But is there something that can go haywire with the alternator itself if an Onan sits to long without exercise or do I have that wrong?

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
Regarding the question on your generator, Cummins Onan recommends running their generators under load for 30 minutes every month, if not in regular use.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I am a retired farmer (after 40 years). Our combines sat in the shed for 9 months out of the year and some tractors sat for 4 months, all diesels and we had no problems, as long as the batteries were good they started right up when we needed to get them out. I would not worry about the time you are talking about.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Bruce_Brown
JRscooby wrote:
Engine? No worry. But you might want to put a gauge on the tires once in a while. If nothing else it will mean less time airing them up for next move.

They shouldn't loose any air either. I have yet to need to add air after our winter storage, and yes, I do check them ! :B

With that said, one of my trucks tends to need air about once a year.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Appreciate your thoughts and wisdom.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Engine? No worry. But you might want to put a gauge on the tires once in a while. If nothing else it will mean less time airing them up for next move.

Bruce_Brown
I pulled ours in the garage in September, it won't see the road again until April. The only thing we do is make sure it's parked with a full tank of fuel.

My farm tractor hasn't been used since August, probably be May before its used again.

In other words, 3 months - you'll be alright. :B
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Sitting in Havasu,you will have no problems letting it sit for 3 months. Fill the tank and let it sit. If you have a method to put a charge in the chassis battery, you are good.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
We let ours sit for up to 4 months when we summer in Valdez, AK. We're about 300 yards from Prince William Sound,(Valdez Harbor)(salt water) and usually have half our days with rain, drizzle or fog. Our fuel status is usually between half and three-quarters full as we fill up at Tok as we come in and go out. Never had a problem in 9 trips with 3 different coaches/engines. When we return home to DE in Sept, the coach sits in the shed until late December when we leave for the southwest. It does run at home every so often as I do a maintenance cycle, but never more than 5-10 minutes and it usually doesn't get driven. The current Tiffin Bus has over 110,000 miles on it. Other coaches had 65.000 and 75,000 miles when we traded.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Diesel engines are self oiling for storage. 1000โ€™s of pieces of ag and construction equipment sit for months in the โ€œoff seasonsโ€ without harm. A biocide in the fuel, as suggested, is a good idea in a warm climate.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,ve done this meney a times no problem. a diesel is not a gas engine. our little dozor sat in a field for over a year , new batteries cleaned fuel bowl and started almost right up,, cranked about 15seconds then came to life. your motors will be just fine.

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't worry about a thing for 3 months other than maybe a battery tender to combat any small draws on the battery.

Our tractors sit for 6 months at a time and don't have problems.

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
Everything Wolfe said. And do relax. There are a lot of us in the snowbelt who by necessity have to park their RVs for 6 months or so while that pesky white stuff covers the ground. No harm as long as you do some basics. Mine starts right up every time in the Spring after 15 years of winter naps.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly