cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TrailAir Pinbox Observation

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
TrailAir owners:Just before a 2300 mile trip this fall I installed a TrailAir pinbox on my Open Range. I settled on 55-60 psi for the bladder and enjoyed watching the trailer float behind me. I noticed that when I accelerated from a stop that I could see the shock absorber compress (and then float) and when I stopped I could see the shock absorber extend fully.
Several times over the summer I found that during hard braking that the trailer would sometimes skid. Towards the end of our fall trip I decided to back off the RAM brake controller one notch (from about 6.0 down to 5.5). After doing that I could see a change, that the shock absorber no longer extended during braking. Instead it pretty much stayed at the same point as cruising. I am guessing that this is a sign that the trailer brakes are at the correct level relative to the truck brakes.
Opinions?
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights
10 REPLIES 10

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
justme wrote:
Beware that the "arrow" indicator sticker on the shock is evidently added by the installer/improperly by the mfg sometimes incorrectly. When they installed my TrailAir someone misapplied the arrow and it was to high and required to fill the bladder completely to reach the arrow tip. Consequently I marked the shock with no air.-- then half way and finally when the bladder was full ( fully extended shock). I found the trailer travels the best when between 1/2 AND 3/4 extened at the shock. At the point there is minimal chucking and better ride..... Mine rides with 70-80 PSI with a pin weight of 3100lbs.

Yes, I inflate mine to the high side of mid stroke and have marked mine with colored tape.
When I received my pinbox I saw right away that there was no yellow sticker on the shock absorber and looking closer I could see the arrow was stamped (engraved) into the shock and of course painted black...impossible to see. I called Lippert and asked them for a sticker with the arrow and was told that the sticker wasn't available separately and they would send me the whole shock absorber. Well, I got the new shock 2 days later and guess what? No sticker either!
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
justme wrote:
Beware that the "arrow" indicator sticker on the shock is evidently added by the installer/improperly by the mfg sometimes incorrectly. When they installed my TrailAir someone misapplied the arrow and it was to high and required to fill the bladder completely to reach the arrow tip. Consequently I marked the shock with no air.-- then half way and finally when the bladder was full ( fully extended shock). I found the trailer travels the best when between 1/2 AND 3/4 extened at the shock. At the point there is minimal chucking and better ride..... Mine rides with 70-80 PSI with a pin weight of 3100lbs.

Good info!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

justme
Explorer
Explorer

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having the right sized bladder makes a difference all round. Once had a heavy trailer that required the bladder pressure to be about 100psi to be on the line. Trailer rode stiff. Called TrailAire & they sent a bigger bladder, no charge.

Much better. Only needed about 50 psi? to be on the line. Wonderful! Wish the current trailer had the TrailAire. It came with a 5th Airborne pinbox. Nowhere near the travel distance or ride of the TrailAire. Only good thing about the 5th Airborne is that the bladder is not exposed to the sun.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slownsy wrote:
If it isn’t pulling on the truck what is propelling in forward has it got its own engine?
Frank

Sorry Frank, I was referring to pushing/pulling during braking.
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
If it isn’t pulling on the truck what is propelling in forward has it got its own engine?
Frank
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
What you are saying tells me you "had" the braking on the RV set too aggressive.

That's what I was thinking. Many of us are guessing when adjusting trailer brake force....at least I was. With the TrailAir you can "see" the braking inertia of the trailer. It appears that when the shock absorber remains neutral, it is neither pulling nor pushing on the truck.
JK
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
What you are saying tells me you "had" the braking on the RV set too aggressive.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I do not use the arrows on the trail air to set the bladder. I have found that keeping the bladder just below the arrows gives me a much better ride and also keeps the fiver almost level. In other words how much pressure I put in the bladder is dictated by the ride. I have my gain set so at 25 mph and I manually engage the controller my fivers will slow the truck but not lock up.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
The level is not set by air pressure, you need to add air until the colar on the upper part of the shock is at the point of the arrow on the lower body of the shock
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore