Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Single Rear Wheel vs Dually - Whats the Best for You
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Single Rear Wheel vs Dually - Whats the Best for You

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like they are killing time waiting til they can get all three 2020 DRW's for the BIG Ike run.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went this route and purchased a dually and I will tell you why. If you live in the North single wheels are better in the snow because they are not sharing weight of 2 tires on each side. But my dually did handle 6" no problem. The plus for single rear wheels ends there. If you get a flat, you still have one wheel that is good. The 4 wheels share the load and are more stable when hauling than a 2 wheel drive vehicle. I also purchased a long bed which allows for more cargo and don't have to get a slider hitch. The only draw back with a CC long bed is a large wheel base and it corners wide. Another downside of the dually, is tha carrying capacity or the truck will be less because of the extra weight of the additional rear wheels. They do not change the suspension. No matter what you get check your tires of rig and truck at every stop. I use the kick test. Better than nothing. If you are low, you will know.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joelc wrote:

Another downside of the dually, is tha carrying capacity or the truck will be less because of the extra weight of the additional rear wheels. They do not change the suspension.

I'm not sure what you meant to say but the fact is that the big plus of the dually is the extra carrying capacity. Of course if you don't need that extra carrying capacity it's just another minus because it comes at the expense of a rougher ride.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was my experience that SRW's are good for 7000 lbs in the rear before you need make upgrades or go to a DRW. I upgraded my SRW to handle 9000 lbs RAW and was typically close 8000 lbs. Now I carry even more weight so I have a DRW with a Dana 111.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on truck type style. If you can go singles, carry the same weight in a given axle as duals, singles will carry more payload. Generally speaking, have better mph, stopping etc.
If given a choice, I'll take singles. One does not always have a single tire with upwards of 10,500 lbs per tire that is needed to carry a legal 20,000 per axle.
Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me Single is the best

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lived up to your name....."Fish on!"
I predict 8 pages by tomorrow! Especially with theories like "duallies have less capacity because the wheels weigh more..." ROFLMAO

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People have to make compromising choices in most all aspects of life.
TVs are no different.
Some need to use their TV as a commuter vehicle.
Drive thrus and parking garages and Duallys do not play nice together.
So those people are best served with a srw.
What I do not understand is the srw crowd that insist that their truck tows just as well as a dually.
That just isn't so.
I know you all love your trucks, but that doesn't make it so.

There is a reason that dually owners put up with the inconveinences of owning one.
It is less of a compromise between commuting type service and towing type service.
Duallys just flat out tow better than srws.

To the srw crowd that believe otherwise... You compromised. And it's OK to do so.
There are help groups availible for those that are having trouble with facing reality.

It can be overcome with time.[emoticon]

* This post was edited 12/15/19 01:45am by Huntindog *

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming both the single and the dual axeled rig have the same GAWR, assume 10,000 lbs, same overall width of 8',the single axel will weigh upwards of 200 lbs less than the dual rig. a semi with a 20K axle will be 300-400 lbs less with super singles. As such, singles will have more payload potential than a dually. Being as they weigh less, less HP/torque is needed to get the tires moving, along with staying moving at a given speed, so better MPG should be expected and achieved. Assuming these specs, the single tired rig is the better option.....

Now if you want to compare the 2500 I have with a 6000 gvw RA, to my 05 dually with an 8500 lbs capacity, or the 16500 RA in my International dump truck.....Pretty easy to tell which rig will win the most potential payload, best ability to tow a larger trailer etc.

So, at the end of the day, how would you like to compare the two?!?!? 1st paragraph? or 2nd paragraph?

Marty

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Assuming both the single and the dual axeled rig have the same GAWR, assume 10,000 lbs, same overall width of 8',the single axel will weigh upwards of 200 lbs less than the dual rig. a semi with a 20K axle will be 300-400 lbs less with super singles. As such, singles will have more payload potential than a dually. Being as they weigh less, less HP/torque is needed to get the tires moving, along with staying moving at a given speed, so better MPG should be expected and achieved. Assuming these specs, the single tired rig is the better option.....

Now if you want to compare the 2500 I have with a 6000 gvw RA, to my 05 dually with an 8500 lbs capacity, or the 16500 RA in my International dump truck.....Pretty easy to tell which rig will win the most potential payload, best ability to tow a larger trailer etc.

So, at the end of the day, how would you like to compare the two?!?!? 1st paragraph? or 2nd paragraph?

Marty

1st paragraph scenario DRW truck will still have better braking and more stability. The axle rating is not the determining factor when it comes to comparing towing performance between the 2 trucks.
Physics (wider stance) still plays a factor.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Single Rear Wheel vs Dually - Whats the Best for You
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.