Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Single Rear Wheel vs Dually - Whats the Best for You
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Single Rear Wheel vs Dually - Whats the Best for You

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We already haul two wheelers.

[image]

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

We already haul two wheelers.

[image]

Those look like 1 wheelers to me. [emoticon]

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I get in my LongHorn DRW and I constantly think and tell my wife how much I LOVE my Truck. Sure it may be EASIER to drive a SRW when it comes to finding a parking spot. That is really the only minor negative for me. I simply look for an end spot and pull up on the curb or park out and take two.

[image]

So in the Summer in the NW, which gets the most miles, the 2015 duallie or the 2nd gen SRW? Seems we went to lunch in the 2500.

I know the fealing you're referring to. I felt that way about our Yukon Denali. It was always a pleasure to drive. I really appreciate my Ford when I'm towing but the rest of the time it's just a truck, there's not really much to appreciate. It rides rough; handles poorly; terrible on fuel; accelerates slowly and depreciates quickly.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/19 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's hard to understand some of you guys. To tender to drive a truck other than for towing. How would you ever have managed when trucks really did ride rough, especially 3/4 and 1T's? My wife has had Caddies and now drives a Buick and doesn't mind the ride in the dually a bit. We take it many times instead of her car and did so even when she had one of the Caddies

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hornet28 wrote:

It's hard to understand some of you guys. To tender to drive a truck other than for towing. How would you ever have managed when trucks really did ride rough, especially 3/4 and 1T's? My wife has had Caddies and now drives a Buick and doesn't mind the ride in the dually a bit. We take it many times instead of her car and did so even when she had one of the Caddies

I'm happy to use my pick up for all my driving needs but I recognize it does most things poorly. It would be easy to find a vehicle that would be far better in regard to ride, handling, acceleration, economy and aesthetics. When it comes to towing I would rate my truck as excellent.

If you use your truck to do what your Cadillac could do I have to wonder why? hard to understand..

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/19 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

I really hate driving my dually if I'm not towing, so I don't. If my truck had to be a daily driver I would probably switch to a SRW truck. Maybe when I'm old and don't tow anymore.

your entitled to your opinion, but just don't understand. why you and others find DRW to be so difficult to drive when not towing. As I have said before it isn't a smart car, but it isn't a class 8 either. I do have pictures of Class 8 backed into a supermarket parking lot between the lines one space. I see that 20% of the issue is size and 80% is perception of the size. I back into most parking spaces, easier to do, safer when leaving.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/19 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just want to throw this out there to those that think new truck are so much bigger than 15 years ago. This is a side by side size comparison between our 2001 Ram 2500 Quad Cab long bed and our new to us 2016 Ram 3500 DRW long bed.

Front View, the hood is a bit taller.

[image]

Front bumpers even this is the length difference.

[image]

Yea, the new Ran has big Hips!

[image]

This is the one that surprised me! Bed height within 1".

[image]

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/19 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Yea, the new Ram has big Hips!"

Don't know how they measure out, never needed or had a lot of interest in a DRW, but the Ram DRW sure looks to be more sleek than the other brands.

Jerry

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/19 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love those defenders of the DRW as the ultimate overall vehicle.

Folks, sorry to tell you, but your DRW does not ride as well or better than a luxury car or SUV. Doesn't matter the brand.

And it isn't as easy to park as a car or SUV.

Its a great towing platform undoubtedly. But just like with anything else, there are trade offs. And overall drivability is one of them. I am happy to have my DRW for towing duties. But that (and hunting) are about all I use mine for.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

Love those defenders of the DRW as the ultimate overall vehicle.

Folks, sorry to tell you, but your DRW does not ride as well or better than a luxury car or SUV. Doesn't matter the brand.

And it isn't as easy to park as a car or SUV.

Its a great towing platform undoubtedly. But just like with anything else, there are trade offs. And overall drivability is one of them. I am happy to have my DRW for towing duties. But that (and hunting) are about all I use mine for.

This is a towing forum. It's not surprising that a DRW would be the ultimate overall vehicle.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Single Rear Wheel vs Dually - Whats the Best for You
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.