Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Single Rear Wheel vs Dually - Whats the Best for You
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Single Rear Wheel vs Dually - Whats the Best for You

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

In 09 HD went with a new frame that allowed more lean without scraping. I am NOT saying it's a rice rocket but as I said with the "Legend" front and rear shock system it is certainly NOT Grandpa's bike!

New lighter front wheel looks great! Is that a new seat also? Looks comfy.

Jerry

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

[image]

I am not into on highway two wheelers, but that is a nice bike.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

Love those defenders of the DRW as the ultimate overall vehicle.

Folks, sorry to tell you, but your DRW does not ride as well or better than a luxury car or SUV. Doesn't matter the brand.

And it isn't as easy to park as a car or SUV.

Its a great towing platform undoubtedly. But just like with anything else, there are trade offs. And overall drivability is one of them. I am happy to have my DRW for towing duties. But that (and hunting) are about all I use mine for.

This is a towing forum. It's not surprising that a DRW would be the ultimate overall vehicle.

Yep. And now singing the praises of how it handles the twisties. It just gets better and better......

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

Love those defenders of the DRW as the ultimate overall vehicle.

Folks, sorry to tell you, but your DRW does not ride as well or better than a luxury car or SUV. Doesn't matter the brand.

And it isn't as easy to park as a car or SUV.

Its a great towing platform undoubtedly. But just like with anything else, there are trade offs. And overall drivability is one of them. I am happy to have my DRW for towing duties. But that (and hunting) are about all I use mine for.

This is a towing forum. It's not surprising that a DRW would be the ultimate overall vehicle.

Yep. And now singing the praises of how it handles the twisties. It just gets better and better......

While my 250 tows great, and works well as my hunting vehicle, I'd suspect a DRW would have an edge in the twisty switchbacks, compared to mine. Mine does have HD service suspension, like 350 SRW.

Jerry

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

^^^hehe that is not saying much for your HD, but I know it's true.... cruisers feel wonderful in the curves but as far as speed is concerned they can have a hard time keeping up to a logging truck.

I don't ride like Grandpa that's for sure!

[image]

Nice bike, and yes HD's can corner decently when setup properly. I have replaced my ground off floorboards more than once. Is it a crotch rocket? Not by any means, but then I can walk upright after 500 miles too...LOL.

Red is a 30 year old DRW and it will corner harder than I care to drive it...with that much rear tire it just sticks.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

^^^hehe that is not saying much for your HD, but I know it's true.... cruisers feel wonderful in the curves but as far as speed is concerned they can have a hard time keeping up to a logging truck.

I don't ride like Grandpa that's for sure!

[image]

Nice bike, and yes HD's can corner decently when setup properly. I have replaced my ground off floorboards more than once. Is it a crotch rocket? Not by any means, but then I can walk upright after 500 miles too...LOL.

Red is a 30 year old DRW and it will corner harder than I care to drive it...with that much rear tire it just sticks.

and I LOVE driving 74, if you like that try Hwy 2!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the compliments you guys. It really is a fun solid ride. I NEVER ride fast on unfamiliar roads.

I switched to 14 SG wheels and seat. I have a backrest and the EG seat for when the wife rides with.

MerryChristmas to all of you!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 02:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Thanks for the compliments you guys. It really is a fun solid ride. I NEVER ride fast on unfamiliar roads.

I switched to 14 SG wheels and seat. I have a backrest and the EG seat for when the wife rides with.

MerryChristmas to all of you!

I really enjoy my cruiser as well but I think my gutless, crumbing handling Ford is capable of out doing my Vic in the twisties and and a top performing sports car would crush a sport bike on the same kind of road.

The thing is drifting around curves in a one ton is not really something I would enjoy where as a winding mountainous road is a wonderful experience on a bike.

[image]

* This post was edited 12/20/19 02:29am by 4x4ord *

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^^ VERY NICE! ^^^^^

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I think of cruisers, these are my toys:

[image]

When I think about motorcycle, I have a sport tour:

[image]

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Single Rear Wheel vs Dually - Whats the Best for You
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.