Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Single Rear Wheel vs Dually - Whats the Best for You
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Single Rear Wheel vs Dually - Whats the Best for You

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo, if your DRW had the Factory Rear Air the rear would set much lower than your 01.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

"Yea, the new Ram has big Hips!"

Don't know how they measure out, never needed or had a lot of interest in a DRW, but the Ram DRW sure looks to be more sleek than the other brands.

Jerry

Tying to be objective, YES the RAM has some SEXY hips!

The GM is just odd and the Ford used the previous two DRW designs on the current model.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People familiar with Highway 74 called the "Palms to Pines" highway that heads South from Palm Desert, CA near Palm Springs you will understand what I am about to say. For those who don't simply do a Google Earth.

Wife and I drove up the highway last night to meet a fellow DRV couple for dinner at the famous Paradise Cafe. The road is VERY popular for Sports car and MotorCycle enthusiasts. Looking down it's literally a ribbon with sweeping banked turns.

My DRW handles so well and tracks flat that I was taking the curves at almost the speed of my HD MotorCycle. It's insane how well it handles.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^hehe that is not saying much for your HD, but I know it's true.... cruisers feel wonderful in the curves but as far as speed is concerned they can have a hard time keeping up to a logging truck.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

^^^hehe that is not saying much for your HD, but I know it's true.... cruisers feel wonderful in the curves but as far as speed is concerned they can have a hard time keeping up to a logging truck.

You should ride my HD! I have added the Legend Shock system and I can ride that mo-fo like you would simply NOT believe. I was truly shocked with how well it handles with that system.

I don't ride like Grandpa that's for sure!

This is an insane ride near Lake Henshaw where the 180's are VERY tight. My bike is basically a StreetGlide now.

[image]
[image]

* This post was edited 12/19/19 11:37am by Cummins12V98 *

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I can ride that mo-fo like you would simply NOT believe."

I was thinking of a challenge, using my bike against yours, but after reading above, nope, I'm out!!

4x4ord...never speak bad of someones bike, especially this close to Christmas!

Oh and BTW...HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO BOTH OF YOU!

Jerry

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The suspension on an H-D isn't what ultimately holds them back, although it certainly doesn't help, it's their lack of ground clearance. Hit a bump mid corner and that little bit of clearance suddenly becomes none, and it becomes an "Oh poop!" moment.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

The suspension on an H-D isn't what ultimately holds them back, although it certainly doesn't help, it's their lack of ground clearance. Hit a bump mid corner and that little bit of clearance suddenly becomes none, and it becomes an "Oh poop!" moment.

I experienced that sort of thing on my Victory the summer before last. I came into a curve, that can be easily navigated at 50 mph, going way too fast and ran out of ground clearance. When the bike went off the road, I went off the bike. I smacked into a tree so hard my helmet pealed off my head and kept going. The tree ended up being quite flexible and as it turned out I escaped without injury. The bike was rebuildable.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 09 HD went with a new frame that allowed more lean without scraping. I am NOT saying it's a rice rocket but as I said with the "Legend" front and rear shock system it is certainly NOT Grandpa's bike!

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

You should ride my HD! I have added the Legend Shock system and I can ride that mo-fo like you would simply NOT believe. I was truly shocked with how well it handles with that system.

I don't ride like Grandpa that's for sure!

This is an insane ride near Lake Henshaw where the 180's are VERY tight. My bike is basically a StreetGlide now.

[image]
[image]

That is a beautiful looking bike Cummins and an awesome looking ride. I've really enjoyed some US highways but haven't got south of idaho yet..... it's hard to take off enough time in the summer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Single Rear Wheel vs Dually - Whats the Best for You
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.