cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
4 months back Micro soft decided to update my old computer. (It was first window 7 but updated to 10 a while back. It worked on 10) Next morning, the computer was not as good as a Lego but was a plastic brick. About 25 hours on the phone, computer restored, (lost everything stored in it) most would work, but not E-mail.
Went out to buy a new computer, and still can not get email, on computer, but can get them on phone. I can send, but the address does not work for reply. I know I set something up wrong, but have no idea what.
8 REPLIES 8

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I would suspect something in the IMAP settings. Outgoing server settings are different with IMAP. The various email providers have tutorials on their websites telling how to set up different email readers, I'd start there.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Using AT&T, and trying to use Outlook

I know no one likes to change, but I like the Thunderbird email reader. I looks a some what like the old, old version of Outlook.

Best part about Thunderbird is that it really has not changed in over the 15+ years I have been using it ! Plus, by NOT USING THE WEB INTERFACE you do not get bombarded by hundreds of stupid ads !

The first thing you need to understand about email "readers" (like Outlook or Thunderbird) is that they can bet set up 2 different ways.

The "old fashioned way" (called POP) downloads all of your mail to you computer as soon as you start it up. Useful if you are never going to use a different computer (like a phone) because you can look at old mail when you are "off line".

The "newer" (called IMAP, actually pretty old in the computer world) leaves all of your mail and folders on the server. This is how email "apps" on phones work. It does not clutter up/take space your computer. You can create "local" folders that are stored on your computer so those items can be read anytime.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly why I switched to Apple.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Try logging in here:
https://websitesmail.att.com/#/login

What version of Outlook are you using?
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Using AT&T, and trying to use Outlook.
"Most (if not all) of the email providers have a web interface that allows you to read your email without downloading it to your PC. Have you tried that?"
How do I do that?

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Before I could offer advice, I'd have to know who you're using for your email - is it AT&T, Gmail, Yahoo, ?????? Then I'd need to know what you're using on your PC to read/retrieve your email. Without knowing those two things, it's impossible to give any advice on how to set it up so it works properly. I currently use Gmail for my email and Outlook (part of MS Office 2016) as my email client to retrieve the mail from Gmail and display it on my PC.

Most (if not all) of the email providers have a web interface that allows you to read your email without downloading it to your PC. Have you tried that?
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with drsteve. It will depend on both what app on the computer you are trying to read email with and what email provider you are using.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
What steps have you taken so far to set up the new computer to access your email account, and what email service are you using? Are you using an app on the computer to access the account, or are you using web mail?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP