Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Camper Roof coating on top of old Coating?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Camper Roof coating on top of old Coating?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
SDTacoMan

Home

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all!

Me and my girlfriend just picked up what we thought was a nice move in ready camper, but to our dismay it had a decent leak on the front wall of the camper. We are both lacking a lot of knowledge on RV's, although I have worked a lot of maintenance jobs in the past and I'm a bit of a handyman, so we are trying to make this livable by ourselves.

After pulling the inside wall out I believe I have narrowed the leak down to the outside front corner moldings which I have removed, cleaned, and am going to apply dicor corner tape to the sheet metal and butyl-tape back on then finish it off with some pro-flex RV caulk.

While pulling the corner moldings off near the roof I found that an old coating (the previous owner claimed it was 'just' re-coated) began to peel off with the trim piece.

We were planning on coating the roof with dicor extended life 100% silicone elastomeric roof coating, but we were just going to coat on top of the old coating.

TL;DR

My question is, should I begin trying to peel the old roof coating off (as it seems to be peeling off ok here) or should I leave the coating and just apply on top of it. I don't believe I have any roof related leaks at this point of time anyways, so I'm not sure I want to go for it if it's going to cause me a ton of work.

Here are some pictures of the current roof coating:
[image]

[image]

and here is where the corner trim piece was covered by the coating, and began peeling away as a consequence of its removal:[image]

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While pics help, still hard to give good advice without actually seeing the roof. You likely know that recoating a roof that is peeling badly, would not be a wise choice. If the roof is mostly solid, but just looks bad, I'd just recoat over the existing finish.

You don't mention year of trailer, or how much invested already, but those things would help to decide how much work you want to put into it.

Jerry

SDTacoMan

Home

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yeah, I figured that's not a wise choice. However, it does appear to be mostly solid. I would have figured this are was solid as well if I hadn't taken the corner trim pieces off. There's no visible peeling elsewhere on the roof and the lap sealant around all the vents and stuff looks pretty fresh.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/19 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, that sounds like a simple recoat will do the job. The Dicor should work for you, and while I have not used the Heng's rubber roof coating, I have read of many others that have, and liked it.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum,

Jerry

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

while I have not used the Heng's rubber roof coating, I have read of many others that have, and liked it.
I have, but not for a complete roof job. I would not hesitate to use it for that purpose however. I would remove anything you can first.

It's the only thing that stopped my skylight from leaking. Goes on like paint.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A stiff broom, brush off as much loose stuff as you can,
A little water and a soft brush/broom to remove dirt,
Then apply the new coating to the dry clean roof,

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m a Heng’s fan. Easy to apply. How are the seams on the sides?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take off as much of the old as you can. Anything you put down will only adhere as well as the surface it bonds to. I strongly suggest pressurizing the interior and soaping up the outside to find all the leaks. Sometimes water enters through the back side of a running light. You will be surprised.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clean the roof well. Apply Eternabond Tape and Dicor self leveling Lap sealant to the seams and joints.
Then coat the roof with Heng's Rubber Roof Coating. It goes on easily and needs no primer.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recoating is on next springs, 'to do' list, Seems to be a bunch of similar products to choose from. One needs to read the descriptions & coverages very very carefully.

Mine was built late 2007 but from 2009 onwards has spent 7 months each year indoors. No leaks though it did get a little intimate with a tree branch which gave it a rub. Put tape over the mark as a preventative measure but will take that off before recoating.

The whole process looks as easy as can be. Sure beats doing 32' worth of boat bottom. Cheap too. A gallon of good bottom paint is around $300 these days.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Camper Roof coating on top of old Coating?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.