Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Wi-Fi extenders
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Wi-Fi extenders

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
realdeal1003

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/19 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi guys. I have the Bear Extender. It works fine but I need one that has MORE range as in being able to pickup a signal from further away. I like the simplicity of just having to plug it directly into my laptop. Is there an extender for sale that has the simplicity of just plugging it into my laptop but has more range? Thank you Louie

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try having it higher with a cable extension. Sometimes that's all you need to clear all the clutter around you.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Louie
Try using a 6ft usb cable with female end connector for your Wi-Fi device, then raise it to ceiling height or move to to a window

* This post was edited 12/30/19 06:36pm by MrWizard *

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jodeb720

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have recommended and used the Netgear PlW1200 - it's a different take on an extender. You connect one end of the unit using an ethernet cable into your router/Cablemodem. You plug the other end into the Netgear device, and that unit then plugs into your 120Volt wiring. The other end, you plug into your 120v wiring in the house, it has an ethernet port as well as wireless.

In essence, it's using the wiring in the walls of your home as "network cable" to extend the signal to the other unit on the other side of the house.

I have a friend who has one in his garage (about 200' from the house) and he's getting 900Mbs sustained to his home network storage device (NAS) as well as the same response as he gets inside his home.

It's a simple solution and works well.

j

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you’ll find the mesh systems like you bought will be the best solution. I use the Eero, and it works great.

Another suggestion, is if you can run wired connections, hire someone to run some Ethernet cabling to fixed location items. I run all my smart TVs off off wired connections, and also have a couple of places I can plug in my laptop when I work from home. A wired connection will always be faster and more stable than wireless.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Wi-Fi extenders
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.