cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions Appreciated (yeah about tires)

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just stopped searching after going through around 50 pages on our search, and searching the internet using "Best tires for a Class C RV"
Yesterday I called 3 major tire dealers in my Providence RI area. Also 1 in Boston. Seems Michelin has discontinued my original LTX MS2 tires and the Defender tires in the size 225/75R/16 and are no longer available in my area. After all this search time it seems (like a lot of other things) that the tires offered by the major manufacturers, Michelin, Goodyear, Cooper,etc and some of the foreign companies are just about the same. I don't like the aggressive thread on the Michelin Agilis which that company says is the replacement for these 2 and the RIB line doesn't work for me either. Right now I'm leaning toward the Goodyear Wangler Fortitude HT all Season. What do you guys use? I will be replacing all 6. I put 42,000 on the factory installed Michelins. My rig is a 2016 Freedom Elite 22E on a ford E350 Super Duty Chassis. We do mostly long distance runs so quite in very important.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
14 REPLIES 14

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
After my blowout I put 2 new Michelin defenders on the left rear. Then I decided to replace the right side as well. As luck would have it the 2 defenders i purchased were the last ones available in my area. I replaced the right side with the Agelis and side by side the tread patterns are pretty close.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
I plan to try these new GY Kevlar tires. They are suppose to be very quiet.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure
Yes if you go Goodyear get the top line tire.
I run these on my truck (LT265/70R17E) and I highly recommend them.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
X2 on the Firestone Transforce
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
docsouce wrote:
This is around a $1500 investment and I want to get it right. I'm going to keep an open mind and continue to check out other options. I'm not in a rush,yet.

Not specific to any one tire model, but if you're close to $1500 for whatever options you're considering, you owe it to yourself to do some more shopping.
Quick check Amazon 225 75 16, 115 load index = about $100-200/tire with free shipping. Plenty of name brand quality tires in the $150/ea range.
Add $25-30/tire for mount n balance and you're out a fiar bit less than $1500.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gary I sent you a PM, thanks for this suggeston.
2020 JAYCO 26XD

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
We installed the Michelin Agilis earlier this year on a 32' C. They replaced Generals of which two had tread separation. We've put about 5k Miles on the Agilis and are quite satisfied with the ride and handling. They are quite on most road surfaces but will generate a little noise on some. I was going to go with Cooper but, decided on Michelin after getting a quote based on my FMCA membership. I don't regret the decision.

Gary

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Have you tried tirerack.com? Request the search by tire size. Lots of good tires out there.
That was going to be my reply.

For our 24 foot long E350 motor home, I will be changing tires before our next big trip. My plan is to buy 6 of THESE TIRES from Tire Rack. I have a means of mounting and balancing them myself. I also plan to mount 4 of the 6 on new Alcoa alloy wheels I will purchase HERE.

I am very happy with all the sets of Sumitomo tires I installed on a number of the sports cars I have owned from Corvettes to Solstices. This will be my first Sumitomo experience with our motor home.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just added 3 Michelin Agilis Cross Climates{$251 a piece OTD at Discount Tire} to my 2011 E-350 chassis {24' Class C} after a blow out {grenaded actually with $4,131 damage to the rig}. It was my bad as despite them looking fine and having 4/32's of tread and being properly inflated for the load it carried it was 5.5+ years old as were 2 others so I replaced all three. I should have replaced all 3 at 5 years... a mistake I will not repeat.

I now have 3 Michelin Defenders {replaced the LTX MS2's} that are one year old plus the 3 new CC's. The ride and handling has always been outstanding and nothing changed in that regard with the new CC's. I have my tires inspected and aired up for the load they will actually be carrying before every trip as my actual weights can carry by almost a thousand pounds depending on what I am towing or how I am loaded.

:C

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Pnochols your post gave me an idea. I'm going to go to call one of the local dealers and see if they have any Agilis tires in stock. Drive there and check them out. As I said the Michelin LTX M/S2's did a nice job, 42,000 miles worth. This is around a $1500 investment and I want to get it right. I'm going to keep an open mind and continue to check out other options. I'm not in a rush,yet.
What I'm really looking for is what tire you guys are riding around on, and are you satisfied, noise, ware,handling,and handling.
2020 JAYCO 26XD

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
docsouce wrote:
Just stopped searching after going through around 50 pages on our search, and searching the internet using "Best tires for a Class C RV"
Yesterday I called 3 major tire dealers in my Providence RI area. Also 1 in Boston. Seems Michelin has discontinued my original LTX MS2 tires and the Defender tires in the size 225/75R/16 and are no longer available in my area. After all this search time it seems (like a lot of other things) that the tires offered by the major manufacturers, Michelin, Goodyear, Cooper,etc and some of the foreign companies are just about the same. I don't like the aggressive thread on the Michelin Agilis which that company says is the replacement for these 2 and the RIB line doesn't work for me either. Right now I'm leaning toward the Goodyear Wangler Fortitude HT all Season. What do you guys use? I will be replacing all 6. I put 42,000 on the factory installed Michelins. My rig is a 2016 Freedom Elite 22E on a ford E350 Super Duty Chassis. We do mostly long distance runs so quite in very important.

Boy ... the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate tread and Michelin Defender LTX M/S tread sure "look" plenty close in design -> at least close enough such that I'll probably have the Agilis CrossClimate installed on our Class C when it's Defenders need to be replaced:

https://www.michelinman.com/tires/cross-climate/agilis-crossclimate.html

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Michelin-Defender-LTX-M-S-Highway-Tire-LT265-75R16-E-123-120R/175741498
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I plan to try these new GY Kevlar tires. They are suppose to be very quiet.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
When the time comes, I'm going with either the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate or the Traction all around. Where I live, you can never count on perfect road conditions coming or going, and I like their aggressive tread patterns. My AT2s on my Roadtrek were great in snow/mud/sand. Wish they made them in my size. Discount Tire when the time comes.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
I have had very good results using Firestone Transforce HT2 tires on my 26' Class-C motorcoach. On my 3rd set now with 122,000 miles on coach and no flats or blow outs.
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you tried tirerack.com? Request the search by tire size. Lots of good tires out there.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT