Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Best Fuel Preservative for Pure Gas ???
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Best Fuel Preservative for Pure Gas ???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Son of Norway

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/19 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I buy pure (no ethanol) gasoline that I keep on hand in a couple of 5-gallon cans for snow blowers, lawn mowers, power washers, portable generators etc. The STABIL products that I buy indicate their use for alcohol-blended fuels. Are there any fuel preservatives specifically for pure gasoline and which one would you recommend? Thanks for your help.

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/19 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stabil works for any gasoline. You should always buy Premium for small engines. I would stick to a top tier gasoline.

Moisheh

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/19 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not quite what you are asking, but since you keep a small amount for extended time, an alternative may to go to your local private airport and buy 100 octane av gas. It does not need stabilized, costs more but does not need stabilizing so cost is about a wash.
We have been doing it for years for our 2 cycle tools, and they love it.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

in case it makes a difference to you AvGas is low lead not no lead...fyi

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Son of Norway wrote:

I buy pure (no ethanol) gasoline that I keep on hand in a couple of 5-gallon cans for snow blowers, lawn mowers, power washers, portable generators etc.

Fill cans one at a time. Gasoline will easily last 1 year in a clean well sealed container.

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve seen 2 year old a gas that looked & smelled very fresh; airplanes do a lot of sitting so I’m thinking that refineries add a stabilizer!??!

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Son of Norway wrote:

I buy pure (no ethanol) gasoline that I keep on hand in a couple of 5-gallon cans for snow blowers, lawn mowers, power washers, portable generators etc. The STABIL products that I buy indicate their use for alcohol-blended fuels. Are there any fuel preservatives specifically for pure gasoline and which one would you recommend? Thanks for your help.

Agree with Old Wizard - unless you go through a 5 gallon can once every decade, I probably wouldn't worry about it going bad. Even stored for that length of time it will probably still work.
Honestly, I tried fuel stabilizer about 10 years ago, and there was no noticeable difference in the fuel quality that I put it in, versus the last 10 years of not bothering. I've left ethanol laced, and pure dino, gas in my shed over the winter and it still works, when I use it next year in the mower/tractor.
Some believe that some engines might prefer you use it all up, to dry, before long term storage. However, I've never done that either, and had no problems.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#1Flyboy wrote:

I’ve seen 2 year old a gas that looked & smelled very fresh; airplanes do a lot of sitting so I’m thinking that refineries add a stabilizer!??!

The spec for Avgas is zero gum in storage. There is no Stabil in it. For my small engines, I fill a can with clear gasoline(no ethanol), then I add a double dose of Marine Stabil. Marine Stabil is much more concentrated than the red stuff they sell. If you use a double dose of Marine Stabil, and have in in a sealed container in a cool environment, it can stay good for two years. I never have any trouble with my chain saws etc. with this method.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About twelve years ago, I bought a cottage that had been un-used for about ten years. The elderly owner had passed, and his kids sold it to me.There was a gas lawnmower in the shed when I bought the cottage. It started about third pull with the old gas in it. That was before they started putting ethanol in gasoline. I used regular gasoline with ethanol in it to cut the lawn, and the next two springs, I had to pull the carb off the lawnmower to get it running. Since then I learned to use only ethanol free premium gas in all my small engines, or anything that will sit. I also use Stabil, and have never had to pull a carb off anything in years. I saw what my friends boat carb looked like when they pulled the fuel filter out of it. The filter was full of gelled fuel from the ethanol.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I leave 87 gallons non ethanol in the three tanks on my 23’ boat for 6 months at a time. I never add a thing. Starts right up every Spring and runs great.

I don’t even run the 350 dry.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Best Fuel Preservative for Pure Gas ???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.