Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Please help me choose between these two portable smokers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Please help me choose between these two portable smokers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I snowbird, and I'm on the road for about 6 months a year. Most of the time I have electricity. I love to make homemade bacon! And sometimes I smoke other stuff.

In the other thread about smokers, I saw the link to this wonderful unit, which led me to find and post this other wonderful unit. I'm thinking I should get one of them for travel.

But I can't for the life of me make up my mind which one!

The Masterbuilt is cute as the dickens, and I like the blue door. And it seems to be a real smoker. The stove top one has rave reviews on Amazon, and is of course the easiest to pack! But people seem to be using it mostly to smoke fish and chicken, and not bacon. They also mention that the food gets a bit "steamed", since it is not outdoors with vents and all. I would be using it outdoors myself, though, and of course I could keep the lid cracked open.

Do you think I could make bacon in the stovetop one that I would be happy with?

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

ksbowman

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Masterbuilt that is larger than the one you have pictured and has the digital temp and time setup. I have been extremely pleased with this unit. The only flaw is the temp probe that comes with it doesn't work as it should. I have had many other smokers but, none work as labor free as this one. I am assuming all Masterbuilts work this well. Unless you have an out door kitchen I would think the stove top unit would be hard to keep the smoke contained if it were used indoors.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/19 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do have an outdoor kitchen, and I would not be trying to use it indoors. so I don't think smoke leakage would be a concern.

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/19 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that you could make bacon for breakfast in the stovetop but not make bacon from scratch in it. My feeling is the same for the Masterbuilt for that matter. You will not have low temperature control with either of these units. They are smoke cookers.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/19 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you carry a grill with you already, you may want to consider the LizzQ.
I have two of these, one for the house, one for the 5er to use in our Weber Q120.
I have a Weber Smokey Mountain, and a pellet grill. Some call them pellet smokers, but they don't give much smoke flavor. I use the LizzQfor cold smoking cheese, smoking turkeys, briskets, etc. It really is turning to my go to for smoke.

If I remember, you have a smaller rig, and the little tube takes up the space of an empty paper towel roll. Just the cardboard part.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may be way to big for you to haul around but I use a 30 inch Masterbuilt with the Cold Smoke box attachment. Using that, I can get the smoke without cooking the bacon. I cure mine in a brine for a while then smoke it in my smoker. After a few hours of smoke, I slice it, vacuum seal it and freeze

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/19 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting!

I am very new to smoking. I have been using a 30-inch unit, keeping the temperature as low as I can and still get smoke. But after 4 hours the bacon is cooked. Does that mean I'm doing it wrong? I slice it up and freeze it and fry it for breakfast and it makes me very happy. But is it not supposed to end up cooked?

I don't carry a grill with me, but I could, if that is a better solution. I have a little one that I got for free. I've never used it.

I don't really understand how it is different from my propane stove, except that there is a little Hood over the burners. Is that to keep the grease from putting out the flame or catching on fire or something? Do I really need both a grill and a stove?

I'm feeling a bit clueless here, but eager to learn!

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/19 11:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

Interesting!

I am very new to smoking. I have been using a 30-inch unit, keeping the temperature as low as I can and still get smoke. But after 4 hours the bacon is cooked. Does that mean I'm doing it wrong? I slice it up and freeze it and fry it for breakfast and it makes me very happy. But is it not supposed to end up cooked?

I don't carry a grill with me, but I could, if that is a better solution. I have a little one that I got for free. I've never used it.

I don't really understand how it is different from my propane stove, except that there is a little Hood over the burners. Is that to keep the grease from putting out the flame or catching on fire or something? Do I really need both a grill and a stove?

If you already have something to use as a smoker, lower the temperature as low as you can, that is when you get the best smoke. That is the beauty of the smoker tube, it produces very little heat. Maybe you just need to work with what you have more so you can learn it better.

My experience with bacon is limited, but I have done roasts, briskets, chickens, turkeys, steaks, beans, mac and cheese, etc. with great success.

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

Interesting!

With the Masterbuilt smoker, you can not get enough heat for the smoke without cooking the meat, whatever it is. That is why I use the cold smoker box to actually create the smoke. That way I can keep the smoker temperature low. This picture shows the cold smoker box mounted on the side of an actual smoker.

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/19 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

If you carry a grill with you already, you may want to consider the LizzQ.
I have two of these, one for the house, one for the 5er to use in our Weber Q120.
I have a Weber Smokey Mountain, and a pellet grill. Some call them pellet smokers, but they don't give much smoke flavor. I use the LizzQfor cold smoking cheese, smoking turkeys, briskets, etc. It really is turning to my go to for smoke.

If I remember, you have a smaller rig, and the little tube takes up the space of an empty paper towel roll. Just the cardboard part.

While in the RV I use a similar item- A-Maze-N smoking tube. Amazon and Home Depot have them. Works pretty good with the grill and as you say, easy to transport and store. At home I have a large Masterbuilt and big green egg. . A-Maze-N smoker tubes
Bass pro shops have a great selection of various wood pellets.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Please help me choose between these two portable smokers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.