cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Christmas 2019 in Vancouver part 2

charlessfolly
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't really hoping for a part 2 but we used the rv before I finished the renovations and now we're paying for it.
Went to pick up the kids in Kitsilano for supper and Van Dusan Gardens light show. Just as we get to her apartment building there is a thump,thump,thump under the hood. Uh,oh...
Pulled around the corner and stopped. Looked back down the road and saw a piece of wire lying there. Picked it up - not wire,belt. The serpentine belt had shredded a rib and when I looked under the hood the rest of it was still there (mostly). Well, I removed the loose bits that I could reach but left the belt in place.
The motor ran fine but I knew it could shred more or RIP or snap at any moment. Canadian Tire was 12 blocks away. We drove there on pins and needles, four of us ,two cats and our home on wheels. They didn't have the belt at that store, there was one in South Vancouver.
We put it on hold and headed there being careful to accelerate slowly and coast alot in the rush hour traffic. Yup, that's me making RV's look bad. Sorry. Got the belt but they couldn't install it. I would have to do it but not tonight.
We went down the road for supper then on to see the lights. The belt held. Finally we dropped off the kids and headed back to the campground- through downtown Vancouver and through the Stanley Park causeway and over the Lions Gate Bridge. White knuckles like you wouldn't believe! But we made it.
Tomorrow I'll try to replace the belt myself with my basic tool kit. It's supposed to rain. The campsite is gravel. I deserve it, I know.
9 REPLIES 9

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I do hope that the remainder of the excursion is boring.....

Matt - also had some memorable times on the road.
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
:B
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

charlessfolly
Explorer
Explorer
I hear you. I don't like to use stop leak so I put in less than half a small bottle. I also had bits of old belt wrapped around the fan blade base which might have been stressing the pump bearing/seal. It's not leaking a all now so hopefully that's it. Now, let's talk tires...(better not)

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
If the water pump bearings are worn to the point of allowing a tight belt to start it leaking, it's probably in need of replacement. Stop leak can/will gum up the entire cooling system eventually. It might be worse than the leak. If you used the stop leak, and then decide to replace the pump, make sure you flush the cooling system really well before refilling and returning it to service.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

charlessfolly
Explorer
Explorer
Postscript: water pump started leaking probably due to tight belt. Another Canadian tire visit for some stop leak and antifreeze. Now, all's good. Thanks again, Charles.

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
Good story telling. Had me on pins and needles, whatever that means. Glad it all worked out.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Well done. Good luck with the rest of it.

charlessfolly
Explorer
Explorer
New belt installed. Took an hour and a half with the wife's help but at 67 I'll take any help I can get.
Test run and last day visit, back on the ferry tomorrow morning.
Thanks to all for letting me share, and have a great Christmas!

charlessfolly
Explorer
Explorer
Morning update: went down to 2 degrees Celsius (about 36 f) last night. The circuit breaker on the post outside tripped off sometime during the night and it is cold inside this morning.promising rain this afternoon, possibly snow tonight. Camping is always an adventure in the off season.
Got the power back on and had breakfast, now for some fixing...