Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: travel concerns
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> travel concerns

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
budkatsav

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/19 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we are traveling to Florida from Massachusetts in February. is route 301 the best way to get around the tunnels and DC when traveling in a pickup truck towing a travel trailer? yes we will have propane on board.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/19 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

budkatsav wrote:

we are traveling to Florida from Massachusetts in February. is route 301 the best way to get around the tunnels and DC when traveling in a pickup truck towing a travel trailer? yes we will have propane on board.

Depending on the time of day, I will either:
1- stay on 95 to 695 East over the Key Bridge, back to 95
2- exit to rt 1 in DE, to 301/50, cross the Bay Bridge and either stay on 301 down to 95 just north of Richmond... or hop on 50 back to 95 which you will be 17 miles north of the draw bridge in DC

I will say that a lot will depend on the weather...

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

rockylarson

Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/19 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We made the 301 south trip every Dec 25 for the past 10 years. Again this year.

Over night in a Cracker Barrel closed for Christmas, with coffee and breakfast when they open the next morning. We stop at one or the other Flying J's at the 95 entrance #104. The older of the two on the southbound side is friendlier for big rig rvs.

Lots of red light cameras.

Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 25 refuges with 8000 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Propane is not a problem as long as you turn the tanks off before you get to the tunnels and some of the bridges. We traveled up the entire east coast and went through every tunnel imaginable and they just stopped you to ask if the tanks are turned off. None of them even checked. Some people claim that you can't have propane with you but I found out differently.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

Propane is not a problem as long as you turn the tanks off before you get to the tunnels and some of the bridges. We traveled up the entire east coast and went through every tunnel imaginable and they just stopped you to ask if the tanks are turned off. None of them even checked. Some people claim that you can't have propane with you but I found out differently.

HEY BOB,

Not for nothing but.... You may want to read up on the tunnel restrictions. They ( Baltimore ) Clearly state PROHIBITED.... The last I knew, that meant NO WAY JOSE... Just because they don't physically check, don't make it right..

Below is a blurb from the MDT site - MDTA

"Why can't I take my RV or camper through either the Baltimore Harbor or the Fort McHenry Tunnels?
Regulations govern the transportation of certain hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's harbor."

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

Be forewarned if you elect to follow BarabooBob's advice. You may find a toll booth attendant that know and follows the rules who will deny you access to the tunnel. Then you will have the option of exiting to the surface streets or turning back the way you came. Just because one toll booth attendant let one guy through, doesn't mean they all will.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

lucy6194

Cape cod MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the fines. Believe Boston is like $10,000.00

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/19 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may be a silly question but does the use of “bottled” limit the ban to portable propane bottles as used by truck campers, travel trailers, and fifth wheels and of course portable gas grills? Seems that permanently mounted propane tanks as used in mh’s or propane powered vehicles would be excepted.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

This may be a silly question but does the use of “bottled” limit the ban to portable propane bottles as used by truck campers, travel trailers, and fifth wheels and of course portable gas grills? Seems that permanently mounted propane tanks as used in mh’s or propane powered vehicles would be excepted.

I think that's a question for MDTA, but they specifically say "RVs or campers" on this page:
https://mdta.maryland.gov/Toll_Facilities/qanda.html#rv

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why chance it? We've gone over the Key Bridge a number of times with no issue. There was a member on here a while back who did get stopped and it wasn't pleasant. There's a huge safety risk not only for yourself but for everyone around you should something go wrong. I also don't understand why some people think they don't have to abide by the rules. They are there for a reason.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> travel concerns
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.