cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safety Chains

TS21sso
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Blue Ox safety chains, which have hooks on “towed “ end and threaded links on MH end, I assume there is a reason they are made that way. I have considered placing hooks on MH end as well in order to speed up hooking & unhooking. Any views as to why I should or shouldn’t consider this change. I don’t want to compromise safety for speed, but if it doesn’t, then I’ll opt for the time saved.
7 REPLIES 7

TS21sso
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I leave my chains on the mh all the time. I simple wrap the chains around the stowed towbar and cover the entire thing with the cover that came with the towbar.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Beverley&Ken wrote:
Unless you remove the tow bar regularly, just leave the safety cables semi permanently attached to the MH. Just find a point on the rear of the MH that the books can attach to and not drag if you drive the MH without the towed.

Ken

x2
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you remove the tow bar regularly, just leave the safety cables semi permanently attached to the MH. Just find a point on the rear of the MH that the books can attach to and not drag if you drive the MH without the towed.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I think these would safely do what you want.
Kurt clevis
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i had similar chains but didn't like them for the same reason. instead of modifying them with hooks i just bought a new pair rated for 7500-1bs with snap hooks on both ends.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Detaching both ends might be a plan. Store them where?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad