Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: RV Crushes Truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> RV Crushes Truck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Prev  |  Next
ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/19 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

I am not a fiver guy so did not spot why this happened? Anyone else? What a bummer

Improperly hitched.

It fell so far because they didn't do a proper pull test. A proper pull test would have either had the feet on the ground and no drop, just a separation from the truck OR the feet 1" off of the ground and just a minor drop. (On the ground or 1" off is the subject of great fiver debates.)

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/19 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

AND....

If she is like my wife, she does ALL of the figuring out ! [emoticon]

She's smarter than me, so it only makes sense that she does! [emoticon]

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

I am not a fiver guy so did not spot why this happened? Anyone else? What a bummer

I think someone thought that the pin was locked in too high in the jaws.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It amazes me how many of these Youtubers there are rving. I never even heard of these folks, and they have 50k subs. Everyone trying to rv for free I guess. Why not.

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/19 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winniman wrote:

Everyone trying to rv for free I guess. Why not.

It's not "for free". With this many subs and a 20 minute video, these people have a sizable investment into computer power and time in editing the videos. I am acquaintances with a couple of YouTubers and the amount of time they spend editing videos for posting regularly to YouTube is tantamount to a fulltime+ job.

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

winniman wrote:

Everyone trying to rv for free I guess. Why not.

It's not "for free". With this many subs and a 20 minute video, these people have a sizable investment into computer power and time in editing the videos. I am acquaintances with a couple of YouTubers and the amount of time they spend editing videos for posting regularly to YouTube is tantamount to a fulltime+ job.

For sure, it is lots of work to do all the filming and editing. I more amazed at how many of them there is. I follow quite a few of them, but there seems to be literally many hundreds, if not thousands of them. That video isn't going to help the resale on that camper when the possible buyer sees every screw up the dude did on YouTube.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

They did not do a test pull tho it seems like they pulled the rv a short distance before it dropped.

With any brand RV hitch or any brand professional grade OTR hitch a high pin usually falls as the operator pulls forward and turning.
Saw my first OTR drop in a loading yard in the '70s. Newby driver thought a pull test wasn't necessary even after going through training class required by the loading yard and truck companies working out of the yard. He was sent down the road looking for another job.
As Ford guy mentioned the vid shows way too much gap between the plates (hitch plate and pin box plate). Looks like a usual rv slip plate and another thickness of some type.

Sad....all the name calling....... when someone makes a honest mistake.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/19 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

Oasisbob wrote:

Improperly hitched.

It fell so far because they didn't do a proper pull test. A proper pull test would have either had the feet on the ground and no drop, just a separation from the truck OR the feet 1" off of the ground and just a minor drop. (On the ground or 1" off is the subject of great fiver debates.)

IMO its no debate, I don't want to be dragging the landing what so ever, and that is a possibility .That one inch drop can't hurt much.

Plus if I had a level up system I would not want to have that fifth moving at all with the weight on those hydraulic cylinders, its one thing on the electric landing gear ,another on those hydraulics.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/19 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I follow a number of them and they put out good and helpful info. I look for boondocking sites ideas for one thing.

But there are some or many low info vblogers. One pair of millenials over on Escapees made videos of them walking their dog up and down dirt roads somewhere and rattling off inane chatter. You got no idea of where they were, the one that I finally had enough on was supposedly near Tetons. But they gave no clue to where they were camping and I don't even recall seeing the mountains in the background.

So I fired off a comment on their yt page pointing out how worthless they were. They actually replied that they did not give out any useful info deliberately! They did not want to reveal their secret campsites! LOL. OK then don't make videos about them...heh. I got got supportive comments on mine. I did not continue on since I'm not looking for a Flame War. But I noticed that their output took a sudden change after that. Still not great but better.

I recall on other pair in a huge Class A up in Alaska. Same age group. They had a slow leak on one of the coach tires. Could not find help so they finally stopped and got their 12V air pump out. It looked more suitable for pumping up pool swans than massive coach tires and the guy had no idea whatsoever what he was doing. He was fumbling around trying to air up the tire she was, on camera, spending her time saying what a fumble fingered idiot he was. That was it for that channel.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/19 02:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Face it it's a crappy hitch design!

Look at 21:34 the pinbox and top of hitch head are tight to each other. It's NOT high hitched.

At 19:45 it shows the slide bar is right where it should be. If high hitched you would have seen it then.

I'm telling ya there have been MANY dropped RV's with this type of hitch with no reasonable explanation.

I have had that so called crappy hitch design, I faced it without issue. Towed a lot of miles with it, probably would still have it ,but needed a higher weight rating.

It appears to be same the style I had, you can back into with the jaws closed as long as you don't lock the handle , pretty sure the jaws cannot open when pulling against them . The handle was a crappy design.

Whatever he did was WRONG, design or not, they don't drop if properly hitched . We can jump up, and down all we want ,and blame it on the hitch, but its operator error.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> RV Crushes Truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.