Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: RV Crushes Truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > RV Crushes Truck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Prev  |  Next
Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/17/19 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

The handle simply was not pushed in all the way as shown in pic above. BUT the slide bar WAS behind the kingpin at the appropriate level. It was simply NOT fully hitched, NOT high hitched.

"High hitch" means bottom of kingpin is setting on TOP of the slide bar or jaws and is EASILY seen with having a large gap between the hitch head plate and the pin box bottom plate.


If the bar was behind the king pin fully or partly, it would not have dropped the trailer on the truck is just a couple feet moving straight forward. There are gaps in the video, so who knows what the guy did or did not do right.

I still content that it had to be high hitched.


2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!


dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

Senior Member

Joined: 08/24/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/17/19 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Big SNIP

His wife started filming him pulling away then had him stop. During this initial time of pulling ahead if high hitched that sucker would have dropped instantly! The video starts again and almost immediately the RV drops like a rock. Reason is when he stopped the tenion of the kingpin against the slide bar released and the slide bar released and once pulling again it drops.

CASE CLOSED!!!

And another one

No. You are incorrect here, but it is understandable.
Most people would be surprised how much force it takes to pull a trailer free of just resting on the hitch plate and not latched. That is why many times I have posted that the only way you can really know how to do a proper pull test is to do just that. Back under, barely take the weight off the legs, do not close your hitch, then pull out. I have done this. Most do not, and will not know how much pedal it takes to pull out. Only when you use the same amount of throttle can you do a proper pull test.

That is why I never do a pull test. I do a visual inspection, but do it at least three times before moving. Also, I do have a B&W, and they are much easier to do a visual than most hitches. If they are closed and pinned, and you verify the large part of the pin is completely visible under the hitch, they will not fail. Of course that is true of most hitches.

I also painted the large part of the pin on out last fiver so my DW would know what I was looking at when doing a walk around. She has instructions to do a complete walk around inspection separate from mine in case I have a brain fart. It can happen to anyone.


2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L


TXiceman

Full Time RVer

Senior Member

Joined: 11/17/2000

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 12/17/19 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love my nice well built and heavy TrailerSAver TS3 with the Binkley-Holland hitch head. Very solid and positive locking of the jaws. But is cost a lot more than the Reese.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. I tell folks to stay away from the sliding-bar hitches.

Ken

Ken


Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/17/19 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

Love my nice well built and heavy TrailerSAver TS3 with the Binkley-Holland hitch head. Very solid and positive locking of the jaws. But is cost a lot more than the Reese.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. I tell folks to stay away from the sliding-bar hitches.

Ken

Ken


I had a Hi-Jacker Ultra 16K sliding bar hitch for around 17-18 years and loved it. If it would have been a model that used standardized rails it would have gone into my 2015 RAM on the Demco picture frame. It was a well made basically fool proof hitch. I originally got it in my 1993 RAM with a Terry 26' fifth wheel and then moved it myself to our 2001.5 RAM.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 12/17/19 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen a few high pins (non rv) with the pin resting on the hitch jaws. And non had large gaps. One would think there would be but their wasn't.
In fact one side of the hitch plate had a gap and the opposite side had no gap..... like the picture in the vid.

Most rv folks have never seen a high pin or had it happen. So all kinds of theories abound on how a high pin looks.... or have seen how many ways a high pin can happen.

Even the pro grade OTR tractor trailer brand hitches like (Jost....Fountain....SAF Holland/etc) can be high pinned. RV hitch brands are no different.


"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jake2250

Comifornia

Senior Member

Joined: 01/31/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/17/19 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

I've seen a few high pins (non rv) with the pin resting on the hitch jaws. And non had large gaps. One would think there would be but their wasn't.
In fact one side of the hitch plate had a gap and the opposite side had no gap..... like the picture in the vid.

Most rv folks have never seen a high pin or had it happen. So all kinds of theories abound on how a high pin looks.... or have seen how many ways a high pin can happen.

Even the pro grade OTR tractor trailer brand hitches like (Jost....Fountain....SAF Holland/etc) can be high pinned. RV hitch brands are no different.



Well in the OTR circle its referred to as a "HIGH HOOK" and all the companies I have driven for a High Hook is a termination event! Not a warning,, you High Hook Your GONE!
Also,, Its a FONTAINE not a fountain.
But what would I know, only been at it for a few dozen years!

Johnny G1

Clearwater, British Columbia ,Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 11/13/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/17/19 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like my Reese 17k hitch, when those jaw's are around the pin it ain't coming loose and dropping and have done numerous pulls to check it. How many out there have a Reese.


98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 28' 5th wheel Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/18/19 04:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:



Even the pro grade OTR tractor trailer brand hitches like (Jost....Fountain....SAF Holland/etc) can be high pinned. RV hitch brands are no different.


I can see a difference. On a large 5th wheel used on trucks, the handle will release the jaws, but has nothing to do with holding them closed. Pin shoved into place, jaws latch on pin. Will not release until handle is pulled. No need to pin the handle.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/18/19 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jake2250 wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

I've seen a few high pins (non rv) with the pin resting on the hitch jaws. And non had large gaps. One would think there would be but their wasn't.
In fact one side of the hitch plate had a gap and the opposite side had no gap..... like the picture in the vid.

Most rv folks have never seen a high pin or had it happen. So all kinds of theories abound on how a high pin looks.... or have seen how many ways a high pin can happen.

Even the pro grade OTR tractor trailer brand hitches like (Jost....Fountain....SAF Holland/etc) can be high pinned. RV hitch brands are no different.



Well in the OTR circle its referred to as a "HIGH HOOK" and all the companies I have driven for a High Hook is a termination event! Not a warning,, you High Hook Your GONE!
Also,, Its a FONTAINE not a fountain.
But what would I know, only been at it for a few dozen years!


" A few dozen years " . . . I cut my teeth in a 1980 "R" Model - 1 Stack Mack [emoticon]


Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet


JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 12/18/19 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Well in the OTR circle its referred to as a "HIGH HOOK" and all the companies I have driven for a High Hook is a termination event! Not a warning,, you High Hook Your GONE!
Also,, Its a FONTAINE not a fountain.
But what would I know, only been at it for a few dozen years!

I'm sure you've seen a good bit of events like the video posted.

thanks for the spell check. Some times my one finger can't type as fast as I can think.....and other times vice versa.
Both companies I sub'd LTL work through and the one loading yard were a bit more liberal. They didn't send us down the road for a high pin ....high hook....high hitch event but did if the trailer was dropped. A good tug and close visual were required though if you wanted to keep your job.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > RV Crushes Truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.