Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: RV Crushes Truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> RV Crushes Truck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Prev  |  Next
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

So you will notice that the king pin plate was sitting down level on the hitch head this time. Husky guy said high hitched!!! Trouble unhitching was probable damage to the mechanism from high hitch. Chris

Yup, same as the first time [emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stand corrected, it is a single jaw hitch NOT a sliding bar hitch. Of course Husky wanted to tell him he high hitched even tho he said he could clearly see the jaw behind the kingpin.

Bottom line, it was NOT high hitched! The handle pin was not moved in to lock it from releasing the jaw and it FELL. He did the exact same hitch process in this vid as the first but pinned to handle shaft so it would NOT allow the jaw to open.

How the HE!! can anyone say it was high hitched? The jaw was CLEARLY behind the kingpin in first vid. He simply did NOT finish the latching process.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI, "they" put on YouTube the follow-up video. Part 2 starts where the first part left off. I can't copy the URL right now, but search YouTube:

RV Crushes My Truck on 1st TOW! Biggest RV Living Full Time Mistake! (PT 2)

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, my bad. Using my PC at work and didn't see the few previous posts. Had some slack time, checking my i-phone and the video popped up. Tried to update on my work computer but didn't realize someone else already found the video.

Anyway, we got the follow up. And, I'm of the opinion, as someone stated much earlier on this thread, if they'd spend more time on what they are actually doing and less time trying to make a video, this incident might have never happened.

Their story though. They have to live with it!

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

.....if they'd spend more time on what they are actually doing and less time trying to make a video, this incident might have never happened.

True indeed. KNOW YOUR EQUIPMENT....That's my advice. They were so intent on getting their 'experience' on YouTube that they failed to first learn all the details of the hitch and PRACTICE hitching first before making the video.

All these manufacturers make operator manuals for a reason.......to KNOW PROPER OPERATION OF YOUR EQUIPMENT. That was silly to just assume you can pop in the hitch, move a lever or two, then just drive off. They ruined $$thousands$$ of equipment because they didn't take 30 minutes to learn the equipment.

Live and learn I guess.

'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LIKE2BUILD wrote:

True indeed. KNOW YOUR EQUIPMENT....That's my advice. They were so intent on getting their 'experience' on YouTube that they failed to first learn all the details of the hitch and PRACTICE hitching first before making the video.

All these manufacturers make operator manuals for a reason.......to KNOW PROPER OPERATION OF YOUR EQUIPMENT. That was silly to just assume you can pop in the hitch, move a lever or two, then just drive off. They ruined $$thousands$$ of equipment because they didn't take 30 minutes to learn the equipment.

Live and learn I guess.

Very first thing I did was read the owners manual for the hitch start to finish.

The first time I hitched up with it, I had it out and went line by line.

The first time I unhitched, I had it out and went line by line (to the point a neighbor stopped by to check on us because we were going so slow).

The whole 2nd-part video felt staged.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Willcamp4

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not going to read all the way to the end, but the hitch wasn't closed and locked before driving away.

Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

Arcamper

Fayetteville, AR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hundred thousand dollar camper and a hundred dollar used hitch. No real surprise here. I agree with the above about it feeling staged.

2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

ependydad wrote:

mooky stinks wrote:

Why does the video cut after the truck and trailer start moving but before the trailer falls and then comes back on as the trailer falls? It just looks weird. Like something was edited out.

A buddy of mine is an ex-cop. He's mentioned on another forum that something seems really fishy with the whole setup. Almost to the point that it seems staged.

It certainly has the internet all atwitter with discussions and links to their video/channel. More subscribers = more watch time = more revenue.

Staged dropping a fifth wheel on your truck, looked pretty real to me. I guess the revenue pays for the damage [emoticon]

Why not? I wouldn't put doing anything past some of those Youtubing boob clowns in their quest for views. That truck is at best a 2006, might be worth $17K at most, probably less. You can get a used bed and tailgate for around a grand and if you can shoot paint about another $400 in materials would have her fixed right up.

Johnny G1

Clearwater, British Columbia ,Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 02:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to reverse a bit to take the pressure off the jaws and only then you won't have to fight to unlock it, the hitch was never locked properly in the first place if you look at the white pin when he hooked up the second time and the extra nylon plate was not needed, Trucked for 50 yrs and pulled the odd fw pin in that time and it was the same, you have to take the pressure off to unhook.Lucky that was all the damage, could have lossed it on the street.

98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 28' 5th wheel Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> RV Crushes Truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.