Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: RV Crushes Truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> RV Crushes Truck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Prev  |  Next
bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Handle was NOT latched. Possibly because of the extra slip plate but he sure got it hitched later WITH extra slip plate still on.

Not what I would call a high hitch for sure.

Because you've got one image of high-hitch in your mind, and that one doesn't qualify. But the pin was too high for the jaw to close, so it fits the definition of high-hitch. Open your imagination a bit and think outside of your paradigm.

Yes it did close later with the disk in place, but if it is marginal, the jaw may snap closed one time, and not the next. You could probably push on the handle and force it closed if it fits metal to metal, but Mr. Newbie didn't know to try that. That's why I think it is likely to happen again if he doesn't figure this out.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

rickeoni

home

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And you all watched the video and will probably watch the next one. They are well on their way to 100000 views and 4K a month in income. Then will come the inevitable hauler bed......why are we inflicted with vloggers?

2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Handle was NOT latched. Possibly because of the extra slip plate but he sure got it hitched later WITH extra slip plate still on.

Not what I would call a high hitch for sure.

Because you've got one image of high-hitch in your mind, and that one doesn't qualify. But the pin was too high for the jaw to close, so it fits the definition of high-hitch. Open your imagination a bit and think outside of your paradigm.

Yes it did close later with the disk in place, but if it is marginal, the jaw may snap closed one time, and not the next. You could probably push on the handle and force it closed if it fits metal to metal, but Mr. Newbie didn't know to try that. That's why I think it is likely to happen again if he doesn't figure this out.

The fact they had some problems getting the hitch to unlatch also points to the pin being too high and the jaw was binding on the King Pin.

I agree a pin that is too high to engage the hitch jaw could be considered a high hitch as happened to another trailer with a B&W hitch mentioned earlier.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never until this thread have I ever heard of a high hitch with the plates touching.

The guy simply did not get the handle latched. Either the plate was an issue or it wasn’t. No one knows this for a fact.

Didn’t see this so called high hitch mentioned with a B&W. Please someone post it.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 06:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my former business we saw and had happen several high hitch events and everyone had the plates touching some where. Usually across the front with a gap in the rear or sometimes one side or the other was touching.
non had a constant gap all around the plates.

With only a couple of dozen individuals posting on this thread/subject isn't indicative of what happens in the rest of the trailering world...not even a drop in the bucket.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am I the only person that click this topic expecting to see a fifth wheel thru the cab of the Tow Vehicle?

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I could afford wrote:

Am I the only person that click this topic expecting to see a fifth wheel thru the cab of the Tow Vehicle?
That will be in the fifth installment, don't miss it.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow...I thought this was about over, but a fifth installment coming?? Guess these puzzle type vids are just popular.

IDK why the only 10 page hitch thread below was closed, unless just due to the OP asking the same questions over, not reading the relies to his thread?

Jerry

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

laknox wrote:

Well, as one who has dropped his FW and also has a B&W hitch, I admit it was 100% user error...after 15 years of using this hitch dozens of times. As far as the head separating from the base, B&W themselves said that this was as designed. It is to prevent the FW from rolling the truck, too. Better to sacrifice the trailer than endanger the people in the truck.

Lyle

Sorry to hear this happened to you Lyle! If this was recent with your still newish FW, I hope it was not damaged.

I do sometimes lock my hitch open, when releasing under certain conditions.

Hope your truck is repaired, and was covered by insurance.

Happy Holidays to you and family!

Jerry

Yeah, it was with the '17 [email protected]! Fortunately, it looks like no damage, other than paint transfer and some scratches in the finish. Haven't yet had time to fix the truck; just too busy. Hell, haven't even picked up the FW from the dealer who was doing some last fixes before the warranty ran out.

Have a Merry and safe Christmas and New Year, Jerry, and to all on RV.net!

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

laknox wrote:

As far as the head separating from the base, B&W themselves said that this was as designed. It is to prevent the FW from rolling the truck, too. Better to sacrifice the trailer than endanger the people in the truck.

Lyle

Interesting Lyle, do you have a link to where B&W said that? I’ve searched the inter webs and can’t find that in their documentation. I could have easily overlooked it though.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Was a post here, where someone called B&W and =asked= them about the situation and was told that the head is designed to come off in an =>extreme<= roll to prevent the truck from rolling with the FW. Again, better to sacrifice the FW in that situation.

Lyle

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> RV Crushes Truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.