cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black Foam source

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a source of black foam that is for large gaps. I can find Great Stuff white in large gap filling, and Great Stuff in black 3/4 gap filling. I can't find anything in black for large gaps. Anyone know a source?

Thanks,
Doug
12 REPLIES 12

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Try DOW # 283064. Its sold under different names, most notable Great Stuff Insulating Pond Spray Foam Sealer.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
The stuff used in most RVs is made by Boring-Smith. To use it, youโ€™ll need a gun. I bought a cheap one on eBay and it worked perfectly. Youโ€™ll also need a can of gun cleaner. The stuff worked well, and hopefully the gun and foam will work again in the future. Probably $50 in it due to Boring-Smithโ€™s shipping charge, but it was a flawless repair when I installed the rear hitch on my 5er.

https://www.boringsmith.com/p/boring-smith-power-hold-rv-black-foam-p8hhth34ca0s
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The major difference between Great Stuff White and Black is the black dye. I suspect they are otherwise interchangeable. Just so you know.

But read the labels to be sure.

True story: Company I know a bit about makes a product that is BLUE in color. one of the parts is a common washer.. Like you'd use under the head of a bolt or the nut on the other end. It is blue.

Customer ask if they could send him one. Company spokesperson told him to hop down to the local hardware and get one "But those are not blue" Well the OEM one was not blue till we painted it either"

They are painted after assembly.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
Consider using A/C preformed tubing cover It comes in large sises and is black. It is easy to cut or form with your fingers. UV resistant. Available at Home Depot or Lowes.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
The black pond stuff can usually be found at landscape supply stores. It does have a tendency to turn yellow when exposed to UV light.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They dont seem to have the "big gap" stuff in black anymore, just "cream".
That's too bad.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
gregrc75 wrote:
Spray foam for backyard fish ponds is usually black. I wonder if it is more waterproof as well.

Beat me to it. That's the stuff to use.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
Spray foam for backyard fish ponds is usually black. I wonder if it is more waterproof as well.
Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
For large gaps, you have to use Gorilla tape to "fill" in the larger area and hold the foam until it dries. Once it dries you can remove the Gorilla tape. As others pointed out, just spray paint the yellow black once it dries. Unless you pay hundreds of dollars for a spray applicator system, you cannot get the easier results the Factories get with their large expanding foam applicators coming from a 55 gallon drum. Doug

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I do like Dan, or do more than one application to fill a big gap

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
In a pinch once I simply spray painted the white stuff black as I had both laying around.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Great Stuff makes a Black Foam for 1 Inch Gaps.

How big of a gap do you need to fill?