cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting cold {er} in southern Arizona...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
The forecast was calling for lows here in Tucson in the low thirties for most of the night so I "Winterized" our class C... Arizona style yesterday. I open the three fresh water valves and let them drain while driving around for about 5 miles and leave them open. Next I add a quart of RV antifreeze to the black and grey tanks and a cup or so to each of the traps {two sinks and the shower}.

That's about it, never bothered to blow out the lines as driving around a bit seems to clear them sufficiently. Oops, almost forgot the most important step... restock the bar! :S

Been using this method for 12 years with no freezing related damage issues. I always carry a spare gallon or two in the coach as we camp year round and and the desert nights can easily get down into the 20's. Fortunately our 24' Class C Nexus came with heated tanks, is very well insulated and has a 35,000 BTU furnace.

Our Christmas run to San Diego to visit our daughter and SIL will be in the Honda Ridgeline but in January we are headed out to Ehrenburg {on the Colorado River} for 4 days and nights of riding our Rzr's and then up the road to Quartzsite for the big RV show. Alamo State Park is a probable stop on the way home. Will be packing the Campfire In a Can and the spare 20# LP bottle as well as the usual assortment of cold weather clothes... it will be chilly but snow is not likely.

:C
22 REPLIES 22

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Same in SC.. Knowing I had to move today I went out yesterday and did all the water stuff. nice 60+ T-shirt temps... Came in with full fresh and empty waste tanks and went to sleep. Woke up this AM to 32.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
All this talk about fresh water freezing (not including grey/black tank freezing issues) reminds me of a post I read recently about a trick that could be used whenever cold weather camping:

For those of you with an outside shower that is available close enough to where the fresh water tank fill outlet is ... run the hot water heater a few minutes to heat it's water, turn the outside shower to full hot and then hold the running outside shower outlet in the outside fresh water fill port ... thus pumping warmed water into the fresh water tank. Then go inside and run all faucets - plus the shower - just a few seconds so as to get the warmed fresh water distributed throughout the RV's fresh water system's plumbing.

Doing this before cold nighttime temperatures, or 2-3 times during freezing daytime temperatures, may keep the fresh water plumbing from freezing.

:h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Campfire Time wrote:
Our winters may suck, but our summers are wonderful. While I'm out spending a day biking or hiking in the summer you poor Arizona folk are trying to stay at 80 indoors to avoid getting fried in 120 temps. :B

Oh the myths keep missing...

Been here in southern Arizona for 15 years and have yet to see 120 anywhere. A typical hot summer day will be 101 - 104 here in Tucson we live at 3,300' at the foot of Mt Lemon which is- 9,200+'. In the Valley of the Sun = Phoenix, they often see 112 - 116 but it does not get there until mid to late afternoon.

At 0700 it is usually around 75 and stays pretty pleasant until 2 or 3. I have never seen Tucson even close to the high temp for the nation but have seen Portland Oregon win it. Face it folks June through September is called "Summer" for a reason... it is hot just about everywhere.

What most folks don't realize about Arizona is that the average elevation is something north of 4,000'. When it gets warm down at the lower elevations we just head up to the mountains and at 7 to 9,000' heat is not a problem.

Oh is it true that the mosquito is the state bird of Wisconsin? :h

:B

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Our winters may suck, but our summers are wonderful. While I'm out spending a day biking or hiking in the summer you poor Arizona folk are trying to stay at 80 indoors to avoid getting fried in 120 temps. :B
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
This was Chandler last Monday afternoon, a thunderstorm moved through and dropped a BUNCH of hail! :E

It was actually pretty nice the rest of the week, we were only there for a week. Looked like Wisconsin tho!!! :B
Dan

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
24 degrees here, near Kingman at 3500'. Been at or below freezing many nights and the rest of this week is more of the same. I'm wondering it Mother Nature will dump snow before mid to late January. Snowed a bit 2 weeks ago and the mountains were pretty in white at 500' higher level on up.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Why the HELL would you winterize in the 30's???

He did it so he'd have a reason to restock the BAR!

Certainly as good a reason as any!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's only going to be down to freezing for an overnight, just disconnect your water hose and use the tank/pump. It won't be cold long enough to cause a problem. 9 years full-time and in many overnight freezing temps. As long as it will be above freezing during the day you are good. Long term is the problem.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

LMAO! At least give me credit for wearing shoes... if not for the cold for the damned cactus we have everywhere hereabouts.

I have no concerns as long as the temps don't drop into the upper 20's for hours at a time. This happens on a regular basis here in the high Sonoran Desert. With the forecast this week for temps in the low 30's coupled with our being out of town for the holidays now seemed a good time to address "Winterizing". Low temps are no issue if we are in the rig but parked in storage with no AC power available my southern Arizona my minimalist Arizona winterizing works just fine.

Being able to camp year round is privilege we take full advantage of {Also ride my Indian Springfield and Polaris Rzr year round and play a lot of golf, aah the joys of southern Arizona}

I do love all the macho stories of the dreaded winters so many experience... {you much man Hondo!} and have my sympathies but living in such climates is a self inflicted wound. We spent last Christmas at my friends house in Angel Fire NM, saw 14 degrees below zero with a foot and a half of fresh powder {gorgeous!} the day we left and no, we won't be up there this year. We'll be spending the holidays with my daughter and SIL in San Diego but fear not we will tough it out.

:B

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good bourbon should not be abused by storage in a cold RV.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, with temps in the 30's it's sweatshirt or light jacket weather outside in West Michigan too. If the wind would happen to be blowing over 15mph, then cover the sweatshirt with a nylon shell pullover or a spring jacket to pervent the wind from going thru the sweatshirt. We never wear heavy coats up here as only thin layers so you can put on or remove as wanted.

However, down in our Florida place we go to for about 2 months each winter as we visit family living in various locations in Florida. Also as my wife is disabled, making sure she doesn't slip and fall on any ice too. When the temp gets down to 50F or below, as it does so often, especially after sunset, the air feels much colder and/or bitter than even 30F back in Michigan and you just can't get warm. We hear the same thing from so many other people in the CG Resort etc constantly and most come from the Midwest - Lake Michigan area and east, and several are from the Northern East Coast of Maryland and north.

Only thing that we don't get when in Florida is snow but we get a lot of rain and extremely humid air 24/7. Not much better than having some snow which melts and disappears. In Florida, the humidity overnight makes everything soggy wet in the morning. The bugs love it!

Won't go west in winter as we really dislike deserts, dry, dusty, and dead bleak looking landscapes of nothingness and the mountains do not thrill us either anyway as they are just big bumps in the way when wanting to be going someplace or somewhere.
there's
Beginning our 55th year of RV'ing and not hardly anywhere we haven't been in the USA, including Alaska, or Canada.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You need a hard freeze for a few nights before you need to worry about damage. Low 30โ€™s I would t even worry about it. Not until it hits around 30 for a few days in a row.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

He didn't. All he did was open the low point drains and dump some pink into the traps.
Good thing it didn't get cold.

I was going by what he said.

"The forecast was calling for lows here in Tucson in the low thirties for most of the night so I "Winterized" our class C.."

I'm seeing one night a low of 36 in Tucson, thats for Thursday night . Then back in the 40's from then on, on the 15 day forecast .

Gotta get colder then that to worry about doing anything. :h