Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Getting cold {er} in southern Arizona...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Getting cold {er} in southern Arizona...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/19 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campfire Time wrote:

Our winters may suck, but our summers are wonderful. While I'm out spending a day biking or hiking in the summer you poor Arizona folk are trying to stay at 80 indoors to avoid getting fried in 120 temps. [emoticon]

Oh the myths keep missing...

Been here in southern Arizona for 15 years and have yet to see 120 anywhere. A typical hot summer day will be 101 - 104 here in Tucson we live at 3,300' at the foot of Mt Lemon which is- 9,200+'. In the Valley of the Sun = Phoenix, they often see 112 - 116 but it does not get there until mid to late afternoon.

At 0700 it is usually around 75 and stays pretty pleasant until 2 or 3. I have never seen Tucson even close to the high temp for the nation but have seen Portland Oregon win it. Face it folks June through September is called "Summer" for a reason... it is hot just about everywhere.

What most folks don't realize about Arizona is that the average elevation is something north of 4,000'. When it gets warm down at the lower elevations we just head up to the mountains and at 7 to 9,000' heat is not a problem.

Oh is it true that the mosquito is the state bird of Wisconsin? [emoticon]

[emoticon]

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/19 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All this talk about fresh water freezing (not including grey/black tank freezing issues) reminds me of a post I read recently about a trick that could be used whenever cold weather camping:

For those of you with an outside shower that is available close enough to where the fresh water tank fill outlet is ... run the hot water heater a few minutes to heat it's water, turn the outside shower to full hot and then hold the running outside shower outlet in the outside fresh water fill port ... thus pumping warmed water into the fresh water tank. Then go inside and run all faucets - plus the shower - just a few seconds so as to get the warmed fresh water distributed throughout the RV's fresh water system's plumbing.

Doing this before cold nighttime temperatures, or 2-3 times during freezing daytime temperatures, may keep the fresh water plumbing from freezing.

[emoticon]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/19 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same in SC.. Knowing I had to move today I went out yesterday and did all the water stuff. nice 60+ T-shirt temps... Came in with full fresh and empty waste tanks and went to sleep. Woke up this AM to 32.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Getting cold {er} in southern Arizona...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.