cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It’s that time again...to have some fun

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The LOW temperatures in WPB, FL are the same as the HIGH temps in Mission, TX over the next 10 days. Only problem is it’s 27 degrees this morning in Blairsville, GA and another week before I head south.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...
21 REPLIES 21

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
There's no place like home. 🙂

The weather person says mid 70's here all this week, into next.

I have washed and waxed the car on the driveway. Did some yard work yesterday. Cleaned the leaves out of the rain gutters this morning. Life is good.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
The temperature in Miami dropped to a nippy 40 degrees Wednesday morning, according to the National Weather Service, and the wind chill was in the mid-30s.
Apparently Iguanas were falling from the trees and residents were warned to watch out for falling Iguanas. Saw this on the news tonight in the Rio Grande Valley, I am serious this was really on the news.
pawatt

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turn about is only fair...44 degrees in WPB this morning (coldest temp in 9 years) and Mission is 66 which will be about the same as our high today. Probably should stop here ....not, so miracles do happen.:B
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
When we decided to do the snowbird thing, we spent a season in Florida, the next year we spent the season in south Texas, the next year in Arizona and southern California, and finally we did a season in Mexico, mostly the San Carlos area.

Now, living in the Metro Atlanta area, Florida makes the most since, but even though there were areas of Florida that we really enjoyed it wasn't our favorite. Same goes for south Texas. I liked south Padre Island and the Corpus Christi area the best, but we settled on Mexico and Arizona as our favorite areas. I think the main reason for that decisionn is the climate and traffic. We found we liked the break from the congested traffic and the nice dry arid climate.

Bottom line, each area has plenty to offer a snowbird, and each person will have a different opinion as to what they prefer.

I'm getting to the point where the long trip across the US to the desert SW is getting a bit more tiring every year. So soon my snowbird adventure will start being closer to home. Hello Florida.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
TomG2 wrote:

East Coast folks go straight south to Florida, I get that. A few come to Texas. Some enjoy it, some rush back to Florida. We are lucky to have options although some seem to think that it is, "My way or the highway".

I agree I-95 ruined SE FL as it goes to NYC. Hopefully people take this as having fun and The prices in S FL are outrageous ...$1000+\month. Fortunately I bought a site 14 years ago and its increased value will pay for what’s it cost to own plus the purchase price (including interest) when we retire from RVing...its more than doubled in price.

Yes, 80 degree temp are coming to S TX...Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year where ever you are. Pity those up north.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
When I moved to Kingsville TX (outside Corpus Christi), I asked my coworkers what everyone did in the winter. The response was "if it comes on the weekend, we clean and sharpen our lawnmower blades".
I laughed and thought they were kidding. They weren't.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:

And the noise from a “shooting range” is a plus??? I love shooting but only when I’m the one pulling the trigger.

I should have pointed out that it is an Air rifle shooting range, which would not hurt your ears.

East Coast folks go straight south to Florida, I get that. A few come to Texas. Some enjoy it, some rush back to Florida. We are lucky to have options although some seem to think that it is, "My way or the highway".

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
“Bars on the Windows” ^^^^^^
When traveling world wide, bars on the windows of homes is all I need to know about the safety of an area and that I will NOT be back. I stopped going to Mexico 15 years ago although next month I may get off the ship in Cozumel to buy some cheap , legal drugs.

And the noise from a “shooting range” is a plus??? I love shooting but only when I’m the one pulling the trigger.

Still waiting for when the weather in S TX is better than S FLa and you can leave off the wind speeds.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
In the middle of the RGV, our park has RC Car racing, Drone club, Shooting range, Woodworking shop, every kind of game one can imagine. Our group goes dancing five nights a week. Others bicycle, or play shuffleboard. Lots to do. Like the old professor said, "Boring people get bored easily".

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
pawatt wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Spent a month in Edenburg TX. Park was friendly and cheap. Nothing in that area will get me to go back..... No scenery, Never felt very safe.
B.O.

Scenery = World Birding Centers, State Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, National Butterfly Center, Historic Sites, Rio Grande River, Ranch Land, South Padre Island & Mexico.

"Never felt very safe" --- Our 17th Season and we have never felt unsafe and pretty much go everywhere except Renosa.
To each his/her own. I don't see bars on the windows on the houses in my neighborhood like I have seen there. Drove all over the area, went to So. Padre, nothing there for me. Glad you like it. I've moved on.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
We spent 1 winter in the RGV. No cultural events to speak of. Geocache the area from Edinburg up the Rio Grande is 2 weeks, went across to Progresso twice with friends. Visited all of the places listed above. After a month, we ran out of things to do and we don't sit around and just drink with some clique. On to Arizona for us, don't like the bugs in Florida.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Spent a month in Edenburg TX. Park was friendly and cheap. Nothing in that area will get me to go back..... No scenery, Never felt very safe.
B.O.

Scenery = World Birding Centers, State Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, National Butterfly Center, Historic Sites, Rio Grande River, Ranch Land, South Padre Island & Mexico.

"Never felt very safe" --- Our 17th Season and we have never felt unsafe and pretty much go everywhere except Renosa.
pawatt

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spent a month in Edenburg TX. Park was friendly and cheap. Nothing in that area will get me to go back. No scenery, tons of poverty, never been anywhere that had a roaming security guard in the WalMart parking lot all day like they do there. Never felt very safe. It's a good place if you want to buy used tires. They are for sale everywhere. Need more than cheap prices and warm weather to make me want to go there.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like we will be in the 80's here in Palmview Texas, Christmas Eve, Christmas day and the day after then in the 70's. Can't complain about that. Yes there are parks that charge about $200. A month for a 5 month stay and there are some fancy places that charge $800. Most rates are plus electric.

Nice Budget Park
pawatt