Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: It happened to me.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Humor/Jokes

> It happened to me.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This happened to me .

My mom likes to go to Breakfast so yesterday I drove up to get her. Her complex has a public and a gated private parking area with the gated area a lot more convenient for somebody with a walker.

Since mom no longer drives I have her gate remote and access to her parking spot. So I was inside the gate driving up the hill to pick up mom, when I drove past a worker in a golf cart who I could swear was glaring at me. I assumed it was because I am obviously not a senior citizen and therefore I should not have access inside the gate. But he wasn’t stopping so I kept on up the hill.

I parked and got mom in the Suburban and pushed her walker to the rear to load it up. But when I lifted the rear hatch things had shifted around leaving no room for the walker.

Dutifully I climbed in and started rearranging things when I heard a noise that sounded like small wheels on the ground behind me. I immediately started thinking about the glare from the worker in the golf cart and what he or I might say. So I backed out of the rear of the Suburban, stood up and turned around while taking in a breath so I could say a friendly Good Morning to the guy. Imagine my confusion when there was no golf cart and no worker standing there. I was perplexed, if there’s no golf cart there then what did I just hear a minute ago?

Then I saw a motion, my attention darted to it and my eye focused on it. It took about half a second for what I was looking at to actually register. There in the parking lot, easily a half a block away was mom’s walker rolling down the hill. Yes I had forgotten to set the brakes on the walker. All I can say is I’m sure there were a few people chuckling at the improbable sight of a middle aged man laughing while sprinting through the parking trying to catch his runaway mobility walker. [emoticon]

In thinking about this now, I'm glad it happened where it did. Because if it was somewhere more public, somebody would have posted it up on Youtube faster than I can type this out to all of you.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/19 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I resemble this story.

Drove south to the hospital for the DW first hip replacement and was pleasantly surprised to find a spot close enough for her to walk from with the walker and not needing to find a wheelchair. Pulled in and got the walker out of the back of the truck and as usual she needed help with something unimportant so I went up to her side and helped. When I went back to get the walker it was not there. Not in the truck and not behind it where I was sure I had left it. Confused and not wanting to let the DW know what was going on I stood there in a dazed disbelief convincing myself that I must have left it in the driveway at home. About the time I conceded that I would have to admit my fault a nice gentleman walked up with my wife's walker. Sure enough it had rolled down to the entrance of the parking garage.

Dernhelm

Las Vegas NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Runaway walkers. We live near a Senior complex; I'll have to watch out for those!

Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Amroth & Nimrodel
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, Silverado Hybrid, GMC Canyon

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/19 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would they be called runners then, not walkers?

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Humor/Jokes

> It happened to me.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.