cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Directv Questions!!

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
I know that there are many posts on much of this, but I don't want to hijack any of those!!

Trying to decide how to do DTV while hosting in a NF campground in Idaho. Have HR24 and H25 at home, and researching which is best to take. Have generator and 450 watts of solar, 300 watt PSW inverter, and no power in cg!! Have a few ways I have thought of to have sat service during the 60+ days in da woods!!

H25 requires swm power inserter (AC - 141 watts) but box runs on 12v DC. Would also need swm dish or swm box.

HR24 is AC, 55 watts. Can work on on swm dish, but needs b band convertors. And only one tuner unless 2 cables or swm dish (add more watts from inverter!!)

King mushroom requires power inserter (1 amp they say), and simple hookup to HR24, or needs swm for HR25 (again more AC watts!!)

DTV hd dish on tripod or 18" legacy dish for HR24??

So many ways, and thoughts!! Looking for mental help to make up mind!! I am aware of DTV dropping 101 standard def programming, and am leaning toward the King setup with HR24, but mulling over the cost!!!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and info!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles
7 REPLIES 7

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
The H24 series receiver would be great to use. I use it with my king Quest dome and it receives SD broadcast fine. The tripod and 18 inch dish would most likely always get stronger signals

Regarding the 101 bird for automatic antenna domes King Quest has announced theirs will work just fine when DTV makes the switch over on satellites. Will be able to receive HD broadcasts with my King Auest auto antenna once that occurs in late 2020

https://kingconnect.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Ku-Antenna_KING_03.2019.pdff

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I don't think you'll lose anything. Perhaps Bill.Satellite will be along to help.

I use a Slimline dish on a decent tripod and a SWM setup. Pretty easy.

Agreed.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The TV will likely eat the most power.
I would take the HR24 for the recording option but that is going to use more power than the H25 due to the hard drive. With a SWM manual portable antenna the HR24 will not need the BBC devices and only 1 coax is required to power both tuners.
I would not buy a dome since you would get NO HD and when DTV drops their SD programming no one knows which channels will be available from the 1 and only DTV satellite the domes can pick up (101).
Pick the right hardware to do the right job and figure out how to handle the power instead of the other way around.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
You really have more of a power problem rather than DirecTV problem. DTV isn't going away anytime soon, but they are dropping SD transmissions fairly soon that will impact the dome style automatic dishes to some extent. Using a manually aimed dish will likely be the lowest power consumption on the antenna end. Depending on your other power needs, your solar may be enough to keep your batteries topped up, but some reasonable generator run time would likely be worthwhile a a backup.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Predicting DirectTVโ€™s future isnโ€™t possible but I wouldnโ€™t invest in them.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you'll lose anything. Perhaps Bill.Satellite will be along to help.

I use a Slimline dish on a decent tripod and a SWM setup. Pretty easy.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Neighbor,

I am afraid that I cannot offer any advice on Directv. I have not had satellite or cable in 15 years. I used to be pretty sharp with that stuff but have been away from it long enough that I an antique.

I have heard recently that Directv is "winding down" their service. The story is that they are loosing subscribers at a rate that is going to kill their profitability. They are not going to replace or add any more satellites and will eventually shut down.

I have not done much "fact checking" on this but you may want to look into it before investing too much into your install.

If you loose DTV, there is a great used book store in Richland. ๐Ÿ™‚

Edit: I need to update my profile ๐Ÿ™‚ Not on the rainy side anymore. We moved to Dayton.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....