Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Motorhome, 5th Wheel or Pull Trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Motorhome, 5th Wheel or Pull Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 04:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had tt, dp motor home, lite fivers and now a heavy fiver. The set up we now have is by far the most stable we have had. I know a big part of it is the dually, but even though I feel confident in winds I still will hold back on travelling if there are high wind warnings for high profile vehicles.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO...Good Quality Class A MH.

Touring in our 2010 Suncruiser, beaches, site seeing, national parks, chillaxing..

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super C zero problems with wind or passing semi's

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IB853347201 wrote:

IMHO...Good Quality Class A MH.

AS in 45' with tag axle!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed my 34k combo in some BAD AZZ winds at 75mph and never felt unsafe. Towed behind friends on Hwy 10 to Phoenix. They had a 40' MH, we had 40mph winds hitting us at a 45 from the front. When we arrived he got out and looked VERY frazzled. He had a time keeping it in the lane. He asked how mine was, I said I did not notice the wind. Later that night over some adult beverages he started asking lot's of 5er/RAM DRW questions. At that time I was towing my previous DRV at 29k combined.

[image]

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The worse I experienced with windy weather was when we traveled with a Chevy Lumina Mini-Van towing a Starcraft Venture pop-up. That combination in wind and semi-trucks blew us all over the road.

The bigger we got, the less we were pushed around.

Next combination was an 24 foot travel trailer we pulled with a Chevy 1500 Suburban. Wind and semi's were not as problematic and the pop-up, but we still knew we were not the biggest rig on the road either.

Move forward to a 3500 dually (which we've had 3 now), towing that same 24 foot trailer and all of a sudden, wind and semi's were no longer such an issue.

Moved to a 31 foot, then a 35 foot TT, and now a 41.5 foot fifth wheel.

So, from my experiences, the bigger you get, the less you feel the wind.

However, I think the bigger factor is NOT how big or small the trailer is, the BIGGER factor is how sturdy is the tow vehicle. Dually's are very stable. It takes a lot to shake them around, even when pulling a large trailer.

Simple law of physics. It take more energy to move a 14,000 pound hunk of metal than it does a 4,000 pound chunk. The heavier the vehicle, the less the wind is felt. But there is also a point where too-much-is-still-too-much ... for even Semi-trucks can get flipped over in high wind.

Now, I have no experience with a Motor Home. But I would imagine, they handle pretty well against the opposing wind forces and semi-truck's suck and pull vacuum effects, simply because of their sheer weight.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've driven/pulled them all and the 5th wheel is the most stable.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having had a small pull behind, then a small 5th wheel and now a 30 ft. Class C, I'm going to say the 5er wins this one. But, consider that you won't be traveling in high wind very much so its not a priority to me.

Jayco-noslide

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

Having had a small pull behind, then a small 5th wheel and now a 30 ft. Class C, I'm going to say the 5er wins this one. But, consider that you won't be traveling in high wind very much so its not a priority to me.

You live in Galesburg, does that refer to gale force winds? [emoticon]

Have to agree with the fifth wheel. I've owned tent trailers, travel trailers, and now a fifth wheel behind a dually. We travel the Columbia River Gorge frequently with the fifth wheel and have virtually no wind movement with the rig. I will say the wind is usually in your face or on your tail. Probably makes a difference.

I have friends with motorhomes that complain about wandering with no wind at all.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found if the trailer (5th Wheel or TT) is raised up, known as axles flipped, to provide more clearance you will experience less push or pull by semis. I had my TT raised for better clearance off road and our 5th wheel raised to prevent the tail from dragging. I noticed both of them were more stable in wind and when semis passed than before the axles were flipped.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Motorhome, 5th Wheel or Pull Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.