cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Visiting Family in Memphis, need safe rv park

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
We are visiting relatives in Memphis, TN. We looked up a few campgroumds (my gf is from memphis), and are concerned that they may be in hoodlum infested zones.

What are some suggestions for SAFE, and inexpensive rv parks in Memphis. Full hookups and facilities.
16 REPLIES 16

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been to Memphis a few times.

Did T O Fuller the first time. OK but near a water treatment plant. If the wind is in the wrong direction there was quite the odor from the plant. Easy to Graceland.

Every time since has been Tom Sawyer. The DW is the Graceland fan so she gets dropped off in the morning & picked up in the afternoon.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at EZ Daze three times in the last few years. ALWAYS felt safe, very well run park, nice and clean and we would defiantly stay there agin if in the area! :B

Dan

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Have stayed as EZ Daze several times. Always felt safe there. Never had an issue. Stayed at Jellystone Memphis on a couple of occasions, felt safe buthad the gas siphoned from our toad. Now we always go to EZ Daze.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
We've stayed at Tom Sawyer several times the last few years, never had an issue.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
13 miles north of Memphis is Meeman-Shelby forest State Park.
shelby forest

Also the old Naval Air training center used to have a campground that I believe is now open to the public.
Navy Lake

If your GF's family is in Frasier, Raleigh, or Covington areas I would look north towards Millington. If they are south, maybe down towards Tunica Ms, central city, West Memphis Arkansas. Not real sure specifically where to suggest, but based on living there years ago, i would go outside the city.

Last time I was there was 10+ years ago. Memphis area is changing.

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
What about T.O. Fuller state park, is that safe?
We will be staying there next summer.
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Mbiviano wrote:
Look south across the border. Weโ€™ve stayed at EZ Daze.

Broke down on way home from Milton FL.

Stayed at EZ Daze last August for 4 days. Good Sam Club discount.

Very,very clean well kept facility.

If you need service work done while there the team at Landers Ford are

great.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
It's been my experience that the inexpensive parks are in less than desirable locations. If a camper wants a feeling of being safe then they must pony-up the extra dough for a park in a better location.

Currently Memphis has a crime rate 201% higher than the national average so the OP has grounds for concern. We stayed at the Graceland park but since I am always armed we were safe.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
That's a sad commentary on our society when one of the criteria for an RV park is that it be `safe'.

I'm 65 years old now and when I was 16 I made my first (alone) road trip from Indianapolis to Dallas. I wanted to stop (about mid-way) in the Memphis area for an overnight in a motel (long before I had an RV). I was warned by LOTS of people back THEN, that Memphis was NOT the place to spend the night at all! It was simply too dangerous. And sad, ... since 1971, I've never heard anything different that the conditions there have improved.

Unfortunately, yes ... our society IS that bad in some places.

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Tom Sawyer

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
That's a sad commentary on our society when one of the criteria for an RV park is that it be `safe'.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Tom Sawyer is our choice. We've also done Graceland RV Park next to Elvis' Graceland. Expensive. Seemed okay, but you want peace and quiet, go to Tom Sawyer.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I am another one for Tom Sawyer, great place. Its easy to get to and from Memphis. Stayed there this past year had a river front site, got my fill of watching the barges going on the river.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
We spent one night at Tom Sawyer a couple of months ago, and it certainly seemed safe.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K