Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The smell of a dead mouse..
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> The smell of a dead mouse..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

freetime58 wrote:

Why in the world would you want to entice them in with bait? Trap or no trap, bad idea! Why not take care of the opening, obviously you have identified the opening......stuff it with brass/steel wool and spray foam it!
The opening is the power cord. Not real practical to steel wool or foam that. Besides, mice can get in places you can't imagine and you definitely don't want to poison them and then they crawl off somewhere in your wall to die.

* This post was edited 12/19/19 11:44am by 2oldman *

freetime58

Winnipeg

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

freetime58 wrote:

Why in the world would you want to entice them in with bait? Trap or no trap, bad idea! Why not take care of the opening, obviously you have identified the opening......stuff it with brass/steel wool and spray foam it!
The opening is the power cord. Not real practical to steel wool or foam that. Besides, mice can get in places you can't imagine and you definitely don't want to poison them and then they crawl off somewhere in your wall to die.

Trust me, I don't need to be educated on the subject. Setting traps with bait on the inside of your unit in an attempt to capture upon entry is a REAL BAD idea. Now, if they are already inside.....bait/trap away! Once eliminated, remove the bait and traps.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

freetime58 wrote:

Setting traps with bait on the inside of your unit in an attempt to capture upon entry is a REAL BAD idea.
I guess it's REAL BAD for you. Works fine for ME. I don't want them inside pissing and **** ting in my walls. You can have a mouse inside for weeks and not even know it.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look in the less than obvious places. It's there somewhere, that's a given. That gross smell will linger a long time.

I have sought out sounds and smells over the years when troubleshooting something by enlisting the assistance of a flexible clear plastic tube. About 3/8" ID or so works well. Buy it at Home Depot or similar by the foot.

When I have a weird sound to find I stick the tube in my ear and then move the other end around the area of the noise until I pinpoint it. Works like a charm.

I have done the same with smells. One end up my nose, literally. Shove it right up your nostril. Plug the other nostril by flattening with your finger. Stick the other end of the tube into places where you cannot possible get into to smell. Stick the tube in behind things under drawers, back of hard to reach cabinets, even down into the floor cavity where wires, pipes and such come out. Then sniff, sniff, sniff deeply to see if the odor is stronger there. Breathe in with the one nostril, breathe out with your mouth. By a process of elimination, you can get a sense as to the area the smell is originating from.

This works, I have done it many times. I do have a nose on me like a bloodhound and I can smell things any 100 people cannot. But its worth a try.

I had this problem last year with our TT. Where the flip is that disgusting smell coming from? I traced mine to under the kitchen sink. I got lucky, looked in the empty garbage container with no bag, mouse had crawled there, fell in and couldn't get back out. Easy fix.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

I do
Precision Guesswork
based on
Vague Assumptions
&
Unreliable Data of Dubious Accuracy
provided by persons of
Questionable Intellectual Capacity

Now, What would you like done?

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 on o zone.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

freetime58 wrote:

Setting traps with bait on the inside of your unit in an attempt to capture upon entry is a REAL BAD idea. Now, if they are already inside.....bait/trap away!

That makes sense to me. No sense baiting mice with peanut butter unless they are already in the rig. My experience has been that "no food" usually means less critter problems.

Kevin

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Positive cabin pressure will help if it's not too cold outside. Put a small fan in a window furthest away from the smell. Seal any gaps with cardboard or rolled up towels. Ideally the smell backtracks to the hole the mouse climbed in. Or at least vents the smell outside until it dries up and stops smelling.

I have a dead mouse in my ceiling. Read that slivers of Irish Spring keeps mammals away. Some say spiders too but I read it's only mammals like mice.

If your trailer sits you can leave mouse traps set on the frame rails with no bait. Inside the trailer set the traps along walls in lower cabinets.

Get a flashlight and check your onboard generator if equipped. Look for nest material. If you have compressed air spray behind the genny and watch for nest material to come floating out.

freetime58

Winnipeg

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

freetime58 wrote:

Setting traps with bait on the inside of your unit in an attempt to capture upon entry is a REAL BAD idea.
I guess it's REAL BAD for you. Works fine for ME. I don't want them inside pissing and **** ting in my walls. You can have a mouse inside for weeks and not even know it.

Good for you, just know by baiting them with traps on the inside when they are still outside is the reason they are coming inside to begin with.....to get in and at the food source......the bait! Pretty simple actually. But if it's working for you, carry on!

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there was one mouse inside, there are probably more. I worked briefly for a pest control company. The strategy in mouse control in a stick and brick house is to identify and seal points of entry, place baited traps inside to cull the remaining mice in the house then place rodentcide in pet/child-safe bait stations outside. We used copper mesh and a brick mortar repair compound to seal holes you could stick your finger thru. Larger holes were sealed with galvanized flashing.

I'll add from my own experience that despite removing all food from my TT, I had mice in the camper more than once. It's not only food they are after, it's shelter.

* This post was edited 12/19/19 01:55pm by Iraqvet05 *

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

x2 on o zone.

X3. I haven't had to use one for dead mouse odor, yet. But I've been told that's the only way to get rid of the smell. Even if you can find there is a residual small for a while.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> The smell of a dead mouse..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.