cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Paint/ Stain

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a very nice piece of furniture that has two dog crates built in. The concern is, it's raw wood. I would like to finish it in white with a dark top. What kind of paint or stain would be safe to use? They're dogs, at some point one of them will try to chew on the frame. I don't want them getting sick. Also would you finish the interior as well or leave it raw? Open to ideas....
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
6 REPLIES 6

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Pigman, that sounds nice. Anyway you could share a picture? It might be my next project.
Bob & Lynn

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter and I just built an 86" long credenza that will hold 2 large dogs. We stained the pine with Minwax penetrating oil based fast drying stain and then when thoroughly dry used a Minwax Polyurethane fast drying top coat. These products, although both oil finishes are so thin when applied and sanded in accordance with manufacturers directions that they will not flake off or chip. If the dog ingests it, he has to do it by eating the wood, in which case he has more problems than just some very thin stain and finish. We used a water based grey porch and deck paint for the inside base and underside of the top.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Use a water based for the sides, inside and out, where the doggies are close to it. A high gloss finish (water base) would be the easiest to clean, the outside walls could be matte, satin semi-gloss or gloss, your choice. The top, again paint or water based stain depending on type of wood.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
OK, water based paint or Pigmented stain? Finish the inside with what? Water based Poly?
Bob & Lynn

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
At some point youโ€™ll want to clean the inside of the crates (dogs can be messy); I suggest you finish the inside (seal the raw wood) so that it is easy to clean.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I would stick to a water based paint - usually considered on of the better options when looking for non-toxic paints.
Kevin