cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new to me camper

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi, I just purchased a 1991 Slumber queen 100WS that's in great shape on the interior and outside. I do have to take out the furnace and replace the sail switch and figure out why the fridge isnt getting power or why the battery isnt charging.

It has an old power centre with glass fuses and a master reset push button, so I am looking at upgrading that to a new style with a proper charger and adding a couple 6v batteries and solar to it. question is how to people mount better batteries in these older campers?

It does have a little door on the front side of the base that would allow me to reach into the drivers side area of the box in front of the wheel well so building a rack that I can put them in before the camper goes in is the only thing I have figured out so far.

thanks
Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100
12 REPLIES 12

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
specta wrote:
Your camper looks nice and so do the upgrades.

thanks
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
jaycocreek wrote:
Mine sits off the truck the exact same way,3 cinder blocks in each corner and a 2X12!(Because that's what I had) across both ends..So far so good and it's been hit with some horrendous winds

ya, eventually I am going to make a cart for it to sit on, but that's a ways off. we have had some big windstorms here also with no issues. I want to make a cart so I can push it into the shop for the winters eventually.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Mine sits off the truck the exact same way,3 cinder blocks in each corner and a 2X12!(Because that's what I had) across both ends..So far so good and it's been hit with some horrendous winds
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Your camper looks nice and so do the upgrades.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
now that I have figured out how to add pictures I figured I should add a few to this post.

one of these is from the yard where I bought it from, the other two are at home. I have a bit of calking to do when it warms up, pretty minor for its age.

I did manage to get all the appliances working good, was worried about the furnace and hot water heater for a bit, turns out all they needed was about an hour worth of cleaning with compressed air on the combustion chamber side. lots of **** was blown out.

I took out all the old lights

and replaced them with led fixtures

over the next could days this power centre will be removed

and replaced with a PD4045KV

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
Reaching is one thing but ventilation is another. Is it ventilated? I wouldn’t guess...be sure. If so and you remember to disconnect, you are good to go. No space under the hood?

oh ya its the truck box so ya it is ventilated.

How ever I have decided to put them somewhere else. I can fit two 6v 250AH batteries in one of the outside storage compartments and still have a little room for storing other things.

I can put one on the left and the second behind the pipe to the right. I will only have about 5" of space above the batteries so I will buy a watering system so I don't have to try get a turkey baster in there and see how full they are.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:

Now on this one, I only have access from the inside to three wheel wells but they do come in handy especially for batteries..

Never thought about putting a 2nd battery there. Mine is directly above the left wheel well space. I'll figure a good way to connect the two.

I put my tow chain, recovery strap and jumper cables in mine.
Kenny

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
That's one of the advantages of the older truck campers.. In my smaller 8.5 Lance I had access in the rear to the whole one side of the two wheel wells...I could put a bunch of stuff in there including long stuff like shovels and axes...

Now on this one, I only have access from the inside to three wheel wells but they do come in handy especially for batteries..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:

In the wheel wells...

Thank you.

Sometimes you just doesn't see the obvious. :S
Kenny

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
question is how to people mount better batteries in these older campers?

In the wheel wells... I have one extra group 27 and 24 battery in each of the front wheel wells(because that is what I had here without buying more)...I am also probably going to put two 6 volts in the easiest access front wheel well as there is room for two in the one..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

stumper92
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the purchase. As far as storing extra batteries, are there drawers or storage under the dinette? Maybe you could remove a drawer and install a battery box where the drawer used to be?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Reaching is one thing but ventilation is another. Is it ventilated? I wouldn’t guess...be sure. If so and you remember to disconnect, you are good to go. No space under the hood?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad