cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for under-cab LED panel - milky shade

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Need to replace double-dome light under kitchen cabinet. It's bulky, getting in the way, 1.5" thick with stupid clear/ partially frosted lens that create shadows in the pots and blind me, placed at the eye level. Making a ledge in front to block the light is another solution, but I prefer replacing the light.

Requirements:
1) Total 10-12W - this corresponds to ~40W of traditional old double dome. (This is not about energy saving, I already replaced all incandescent with SMD boards).

2) Color temperature 3000K "soft white".

3) Switch - either touch-sensor or a convenient mechanical switch like on the old dome.

4) Completely milky lens - I don't want to see individual bright spots and multiple shadows on the counter.

5) 4"-6" wide by 12"-18" long, if possible. Or, if narrow 1" - then long 20-30", to cover most of the counter.

6) Preferably Amazon. But, if there is something reasonably priced from a store with no free S/H, this will work too.

7) Surface mounted, no pot lights. Cabinet bottom is a solid panel 3/4".

This one is more-less what I want - but it's only 8W 400 Lumen, this corresponds to 1.5 "old bulb", not 2, and the price is on the higher end, considering useless to me AC-DC wall wart.

Market is full of strips with a separate inline switch/dimmer - I don't need it to dangle under the cabinet and don't need dimmer.
5 REPLIES 5

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
While you're looking for a replacement maybe try a strip of masking tape over the clear portion of the lens. Although that might not work if the existing light normally gets hot.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Here's the LED upgrade I did: Flat Panel LED above kitchen sink.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
I recommend you go with a strip or ribbon type.

LEDs are more than just energy savings, they are fundamentally different so let you do entirely different things. Under a kitchen cabinet you want light spread out as much as possible. As you say, bulky fixtures aren't any good either. Tuck it in carefully and you'll see better no matter how bright or dim the fixture.

You can buy whatever cheapy ribbon, or research some really bright stuff. I found some in with Home Depot Xmas lights! How does 1000 lumens per foot sound? This site has it all and at reasonable prices.
https://www.flexfireleds.com/categories/LED-Flexible-strips/High-Intensity-UltraBright-LED-Strips/
They also have mounting strips and diffusers.

And stick with the lumen output rather than comparing to incandescent wattage. There really isn't any reliable conversion anymore. Commercial products are routinely 120 l/w but sometimes half that. Your 40W bulb may put out 400 lumens, but about 250 leaves the fixture. Does it all go where you want it to go?
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to some pictures of a lighting upgrade that might give you some ideas

Led lighting upgrade
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I just put LED bulbs in ours, and DW added a small curtain under the edge of the cabinet at the front edge for a light shield. The replacement bulbs I used are flat-panel, with a base to fit the existing sockets. Much brighter, does not get hot at all. Works fine for us. Google "LED replecement bulbs for RVs" and you will find many ideas to select from. One site had replacement fixtures that I really liked for your application. for More help or links, PM me.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.