Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Propane smell
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Propane smell

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mattyj

Long Island.New York

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I am Puzzled I removed the regulator and both horizontal lpg tanks and the camper still smells like propane! Does anybody know what could possibly be the cause of this? Thanks,Lou

2006 Ford F 350, 6.0 PSD 8 Foot Bed 4x4 with Torklift Tie downs and Stable Loads 2004 Lancelite 835 ,a/c ,electric jacks , conveince/all weather packages

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BBQ grill in a compartment?

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

NEOK

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The odorant put in propane so you can smell the gas is very strong and will tend to hang around anything it is close to such as your propane storage compartment.

neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Open all windows and vents, open cabinets ... turn all vent fans on for a couple hours overnight if its convenient. Then close it up for a few hours, or overnight. If it smells like gas again, you probably have a connection leak inside.

Lots of soap bubbles on every joint - watch for the bubbling. If that don't fix it, put plugs in the unit connectors and put a ten pound air test on it, and soap the joints again.

They sell test fluid, but it's not any better than bubbling dish soap, and costs more. Good luck.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a stupid last year. Thought i smelled propane when we stopped in Tucumcari after driving 600 miles. I could only smell it outside and at the rear of the trailer where there are no propane lines or anything so passed it off as maybe not propane or not our trailer. Stove and heater worked fine that night and didnt smell in the morning. Next day we head to Needles, Ca and our fuel stop was in Flagstaff where I smelled it again but this time at the front. I removed the tank cover and didnt see anything that looked loose or notice hissing or anything. We fueled up and headed to Needles and when we arrived I could smell it again. I knew there was no way we did not have a leak so took a big bottle of windex and laid under the trailer and found a fractured flare fitting right next to the leaf spring hangar. It was a copper flare where it joined a steel pipe heading to the to tongue. I figured somwhere before Tucumcari some road debris must of hit the pipe or the manufacture way over tightened it and it finally failed. Cost me at least 15 gallons of propane and had to drive home from Needles to San Diego with the genny running to keep the food cold/frozen.

Anyway if you smell propane you have a issue!

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With reg and cyclinders completely removed the smell will go away ......some propane may leak from the open line from where reg connected to main lp piping.

Not sure why you removed the reg/cylinders but if leaving them out permanently then you should cap/plug the open line where reg was and another open line

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

mattyj

Long Island.New York

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 02:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

With reg and cyclinders completely removed the smell will go away ......some propane may leak from the open line from where reg connected to main lp piping.

Not sure why you removed the reg/cylinders but if leaving them out permanently then you should cap/plug the open line where reg was and another open line
. I Removed the regulator and the two tanks to try process of elimination because of the smell of propane, I will try airing everything out thanks

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

batteries burning up have a nasty smell.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NEOK wrote:

The odorant put in propane so you can smell the gas is very strong and will tend to hang around anything it is close to such as your propane storage compartment.
In addition to the above , I have noticed the odor is stronger as the bottles are nearing empty . It could also be the remaining gas and odorant in the lines after removing the regulator .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would get a new propane warning detector and if it shows propane I would rush to a professional and not mess around with it.

Jayco-noslide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Propane smell
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.